Updated May 8, 2013 - 10:23 pm
Grit Index: Paul Goldschmidt's hot bat leads D-backs to series sweep of Dodgers
Paul Goldschmidt certainly put a hurting on Dodger pitching, as he continued his torrid hitting in the series finale on Wednesday night against LA.
The D-backs' first baseman hit two home runs, for the first multi-homer game of his career, to lead the D-backs to a 3-2 win and series sweep of the Dodgers.
Goldschmidt is on a tear, plain and simple. He homered in all three games of the series, including the game-winner in the finale. He hit four home runs and had nine RBI in the three-game set against Los Angeles.
Goldy went 2-for-4 with two homers and three RBI on the night. The 25-year-old is hitting .320 with nine home runs and 30 RBI this season, pacing the D-backs in all categories. Goldschmidt's 30 RBI also rank first in the National League.
Wade Miley got the better of the pitcher's duel with Dodgers' ace Clayton Kershaw. Miley (3-1) notched his third win of the season, allowing just two runs on seven hits in 7.2 innings of work.
Martin Prado's recent struggles at the plate continued against Kershaw. Prado went 0-for-4 and saw his average dip to .227 this season.
• The D-backs have won four of their last five games.
• With their series sweep of the Dodgers, the D-backs improve to 5-1 this season against their division rival. Arizona has also won 15 of the last 18 against Los Angeles.
• Heath Bell, who is serving as the team's closer in the absence of J.J. Putz, recorded his third save of the season and first in his new role. Putz went on the 15-day DL earlier Wednesday with a strained right elbow.
The D-backs return home to host the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday, May 9 at 6:40 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (4-0, 1.80) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by fellow left-hander Cole Hamels (1-4, 4.34 ERA) for Philadelphia.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.