Updated May 8, 2013 - 10:23 pm
Grit Index: Paul Goldschmidt's hot bat leads D-backs to series sweep of Dodgers
Paul Goldschmidt certainly put a hurting on Dodger pitching, as he continued his torrid hitting in the series finale on Wednesday night against LA.
The D-backs' first baseman hit two home runs, for the first multi-homer game of his career, to lead the D-backs to a 3-2 win and series sweep of the Dodgers.
Goldschmidt is on a tear, plain and simple. He homered in all three games of the series, including the game-winner in the finale. He hit four home runs and had nine RBI in the three-game set against Los Angeles.
Goldy went 2-for-4 with two homers and three RBI on the night. The 25-year-old is hitting .320 with nine home runs and 30 RBI this season, pacing the D-backs in all categories. Goldschmidt's 30 RBI also rank first in the National League.
Wade Miley got the better of the pitcher's duel with Dodgers' ace Clayton Kershaw. Miley (3-1) notched his third win of the season, allowing just two runs on seven hits in 7.2 innings of work.
Martin Prado's recent struggles at the plate continued against Kershaw. Prado went 0-for-4 and saw his average dip to .227 this season.
• The D-backs have won four of their last five games.
• With their series sweep of the Dodgers, the D-backs improve to 5-1 this season against their division rival. Arizona has also won 15 of the last 18 against Los Angeles.
• Heath Bell, who is serving as the team's closer in the absence of J.J. Putz, recorded his third save of the season and first in his new role. Putz went on the 15-day DL earlier Wednesday with a strained right elbow.
The D-backs return home to host the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday, May 9 at 6:40 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (4-0, 1.80) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by fellow left-hander Cole Hamels (1-4, 4.34 ERA) for Philadelphia.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.