Updated May 8, 2013 - 10:23 pm
Grit Index: Paul Goldschmidt's hot bat leads D-backs to series sweep of Dodgers
Paul Goldschmidt certainly put a hurting on Dodger pitching, as he continued his torrid hitting in the series finale on Wednesday night against LA.
The D-backs' first baseman hit two home runs, for the first multi-homer game of his career, to lead the D-backs to a 3-2 win and series sweep of the Dodgers.
Goldschmidt is on a tear, plain and simple. He homered in all three games of the series, including the game-winner in the finale. He hit four home runs and had nine RBI in the three-game set against Los Angeles.
Goldy went 2-for-4 with two homers and three RBI on the night. The 25-year-old is hitting .320 with nine home runs and 30 RBI this season, pacing the D-backs in all categories. Goldschmidt's 30 RBI also rank first in the National League.
Wade Miley got the better of the pitcher's duel with Dodgers' ace Clayton Kershaw. Miley (3-1) notched his third win of the season, allowing just two runs on seven hits in 7.2 innings of work.
Martin Prado's recent struggles at the plate continued against Kershaw. Prado went 0-for-4 and saw his average dip to .227 this season.
• The D-backs have won four of their last five games.
• With their series sweep of the Dodgers, the D-backs improve to 5-1 this season against their division rival. Arizona has also won 15 of the last 18 against Los Angeles.
• Heath Bell, who is serving as the team's closer in the absence of J.J. Putz, recorded his third save of the season and first in his new role. Putz went on the 15-day DL earlier Wednesday with a strained right elbow.
The D-backs return home to host the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday, May 9 at 6:40 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (4-0, 1.80) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by fellow left-hander Cole Hamels (1-4, 4.34 ERA) for Philadelphia.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.