Updated May 8, 2013 - 5:40 pm
D-backs' Paul Goldschmidt not concerned with numbers
The third-year Major Leaguer's seven home runs leads the team and his 27 RBI are the fourth-most in the National League.
His .314 batting average ranks 14th in the league and his OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) of .956 is 11th in the senior circuit.
And you know what? Goldschmidt doesn't care.
"I purposely don't look at numbers. I couldn't tell you any of my stats, I couldn't tell you any other guys' stats," Goldschmidt told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620. "Even when we're playing other teams, I purposely don't look at the scoreboard because all the stats have happened in the past, so you've got to live in the moment, you don't want to get distracted."
Goldschmidt's thoughts on the subject differ from so many other professional athletes, who follow their own stats religiously or track their opponents to gain an advantage.
"I know the game is based on statistics, but for me, that stuff's in the past," he said. "I mean, if you're hitting .100, you don't want to look up there and see .100 and then you don't have any confidence that day.
"And vice versa, if you're hitting .300, you don't want to be overconfident. I mean, obviously, that stuff has happened, it's good. All the wins, or the numbers, whatever they are for pitchers, hitters, positions players -- all that stuff has kind of happened in the past. For me, I just want to look ahead to the future and the present, and not get too wrapped up with what's happened in the past."
That past has been kind to Goldschmidt -- especially the recent past. In May, he's hitting .450 (9-for-20) with two home runs and nine RBI.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.