Updated May 8, 2013 - 5:40 pm
D-backs' Paul Goldschmidt not concerned with numbers
The third-year Major Leaguer's seven home runs leads the team and his 27 RBI are the fourth-most in the National League.
His .314 batting average ranks 14th in the league and his OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) of .956 is 11th in the senior circuit.
And you know what? Goldschmidt doesn't care.
"I purposely don't look at numbers. I couldn't tell you any of my stats, I couldn't tell you any other guys' stats," Goldschmidt told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620. "Even when we're playing other teams, I purposely don't look at the scoreboard because all the stats have happened in the past, so you've got to live in the moment, you don't want to get distracted."
Goldschmidt's thoughts on the subject differ from so many other professional athletes, who follow their own stats religiously or track their opponents to gain an advantage.
"I know the game is based on statistics, but for me, that stuff's in the past," he said. "I mean, if you're hitting .100, you don't want to look up there and see .100 and then you don't have any confidence that day.
"And vice versa, if you're hitting .300, you don't want to be overconfident. I mean, obviously, that stuff has happened, it's good. All the wins, or the numbers, whatever they are for pitchers, hitters, positions players -- all that stuff has kind of happened in the past. For me, I just want to look ahead to the future and the present, and not get too wrapped up with what's happened in the past."
That past has been kind to Goldschmidt -- especially the recent past. In May, he's hitting .450 (9-for-20) with two home runs and nine RBI.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.