Updated May 8, 2013 - 2:54 pm
D-backs put J.J. Putz on DL; recall Will Harris
Closer J.J. Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the club Wednesday and right-handed reliever Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno.
Putz left Tuesday night's win over Los Angeles after issuing a four-pitch walk to Dodgers infielder Nick Punto leading off the ninth inning. He walked off the diamond flexing his right hand and elbow.
Manager Kirk Gibson said following the game that Putz was experiencing elbow stiffness and would need to be evaluated.
Heath Bell relieved Putz and retired the side for his second save of the season.
Bell will be Arizona's closer in Putz's absence.
"I think he threw the second pitch and said he got tingling throughout his hand and really had no feeling," Diamondbacks' general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks.
"Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
Harris has two saves and a 4.63 ERA in 12 appearances at Reno this season. The 28-year-old has limited Major League experience, pitching in 20 games out of the Colorado bullpen in 2012, posting a 1-1 record and an 8.15 ERA in 17.2 innings of work.
Originally a ninth round pick of Colorado in 2006 out of LSU, Harris was waived by the Rockies in April and claimed by the Oakland Athletics, who then waived him three days later.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.