Updated May 8, 2013 - 2:54 pm
D-backs put J.J. Putz on DL; recall Will Harris
Closer J.J. Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the club Wednesday and right-handed reliever Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno.
Putz left Tuesday night's win over Los Angeles after issuing a four-pitch walk to Dodgers infielder Nick Punto leading off the ninth inning. He walked off the diamond flexing his right hand and elbow.
Manager Kirk Gibson said following the game that Putz was experiencing elbow stiffness and would need to be evaluated.
Heath Bell relieved Putz and retired the side for his second save of the season.
Bell will be Arizona's closer in Putz's absence.
"I think he threw the second pitch and said he got tingling throughout his hand and really had no feeling," Diamondbacks' general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks.
"Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
Harris has two saves and a 4.63 ERA in 12 appearances at Reno this season. The 28-year-old has limited Major League experience, pitching in 20 games out of the Colorado bullpen in 2012, posting a 1-1 record and an 8.15 ERA in 17.2 innings of work.
Originally a ninth round pick of Colorado in 2006 out of LSU, Harris was waived by the Rockies in April and claimed by the Oakland Athletics, who then waived him three days later.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.