Updated May 8, 2013 - 2:54 pm
D-backs put J.J. Putz on DL; recall Will Harris
Closer J.J. Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the club Wednesday and right-handed reliever Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno.
Putz left Tuesday night's win over Los Angeles after issuing a four-pitch walk to Dodgers infielder Nick Punto leading off the ninth inning. He walked off the diamond flexing his right hand and elbow.
Manager Kirk Gibson said following the game that Putz was experiencing elbow stiffness and would need to be evaluated.
Heath Bell relieved Putz and retired the side for his second save of the season.
Bell will be Arizona's closer in Putz's absence.
"I think he threw the second pitch and said he got tingling throughout his hand and really had no feeling," Diamondbacks' general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks.
"Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
Harris has two saves and a 4.63 ERA in 12 appearances at Reno this season. The 28-year-old has limited Major League experience, pitching in 20 games out of the Colorado bullpen in 2012, posting a 1-1 record and an 8.15 ERA in 17.2 innings of work.
Originally a ninth round pick of Colorado in 2006 out of LSU, Harris was waived by the Rockies in April and claimed by the Oakland Athletics, who then waived him three days later.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.