Updated May 3, 2013 - 10:42 pm
Grit Index: D-backs' struggles continue against last-place Padres
For the second consecutive outing, Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley couldn't seem to find any rhythm.
While Miley was able to make it through five innings Friday night, the Padres touched him up for four earned runs, including a go-ahead two-run shot by Yonder Alonso in the fifth inning.
The D-backs offense got a jolt from Gerardo Parra in the ninth inning with a three-run shot, but the Padres tacked on three additional insurance runs off Josh Collmenter and Brad Ziegler in the seventh and eighth innings en route to a 7-6 win.
Arizona has lost a season-high four straight games.
Eric Chavez continues to produce when given the starting nod. The D-backs third baseman has at least one hit in each of his last seven starts. In the span, he also has five RBI, including Friday's run-producing single.
Miguel Montero also hit his first home run in over a month, a solo shot off Jason Marquis in the second inning.
Miley's command of the strike zone wasn't as big of an issue as it was last Saturday, but he allowed at least one base runner in all five innings of work.
While Alonso's home run proved to be the difference, it might never have been if not for shortstop Cliff Pennington's inability to turn a tailor-made double play one batter earlier.
Stat of the Game:
Seven. A D-backs starting pitcher hasn't won a game in seven straight appearances dating back to April 25 when Trevor Cahill beat the Colorado Rockies.
• Reliever Matt Reynolds made his 11th straight appearance without giving up a run. He's allowed just six hits in 16 innings of work.
• Didi Gregorius, who is currently on the seven-day disabled list with concussion symptoms, is expected to be activated for Saturday night's game.
The D-backs will look to snap their four-game losing streak Saturday when Patrick Corbin (3-0, 1.91) takes the bump against the Padres. He'll be opposed by San Diego left-hander Clayton Richard (0-3, 7.94). First pitch is scheduled for 5:40 p.m. and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.