Updated May 3, 2013 - 4:34 pm
D-backs analyst: Bullpen struggles take a toll on a team
Sure, the D-backs have held late leads, yet they have routinely coughed them up.
"That's the thing that I think a lot of people don't get," Candiotti told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "When the game's over, you lose a game like that at the very end -- you have control of the game, you get a blown save, then you lose the game -- and you walk into that locker room and everyone is fried, they're just mad.
"You're taught as players you don't want to finger point, you're in this as a team, you've got different elements of the team. You know, we're all in this together. But it's a devastating loss when that happens, and then when it's happened a few times it becomes almost to the point you're thinking 'alright, what's going to happen this time?'"
The Diamondbacks are entering their game Friday night with a 15-13 record, which is good enough for third in the NL West. They own a league-worst 10 blown saves, though are 6-4 in those games.
However, the uncertainty now when the game gets handed over to the bullpen is real, and it's not easy to deal with. Because now, Candiotti said, it's tough to be confident that once David Hernandez, J.J. Putz, Heath Bell and company come into the game then the win is practically locked up.
"So far they haven't been lights out this year," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.