Updated May 2, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Will D-backs CEO Derrick Hall be MLB's next commissioner?
Even though his departure is almost 18 months away from becoming a reality, the speculation about his replacement is beginning.
Baseball writer Jayson Stark threw out some names that could be considered during a recent interview with ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike.
"It's possible they could look at guys that are who are team presidents," Stark stated. "For example, Dave Dombrowski in Detroit, Mark Shapiro in Cleveland, maybe Derrick Hall in Arizona, if they're looking for somebody younger."
This is not the first time Hall's name has been thrown out as a possible successor to Selig, who has served in the position since 1992.
Hall joined Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and addressed Stark's suggestion.
"Other than me, I think he had some great names on there," Hall joked. "I'm one of those that hopes Bud will stay on longer, he's done a terrific job."
But that doesn't mean that Selig, who will be 80 at the end of the 2014 campaign, will stay on the job, meaning Stark's list may have some validity to it.
Hall downplayed the possibility.
"I certainly don't see myself going anywhere, I'm right where I want to be," he said. "I'm not leaving Arizona."
Whomever the new commissioner ends up being, Hall feels it should be a person with a strong background in the sport.
"I like staying within baseball, and I think Bud showed how important that is, and especially somebody that has a team background," he said. "You have to know what the issues and the challenges are for teams and Bud was that -- he was a president, he was an owner.
"I think it makes a lot of sense. We have so many talented people that can fill the vacancy -- they're going to be big shoes to fill, but we have several capable people. I would prefer, personally, for it to be someone inside the game already."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.