Updated May 1, 2013 - 7:07 pm
Kirk Gibson: 'We'll go to anybody' to save games
In the season's first month, the former has been tested while the latter has been on display, and could continue for the foreseeable future.
Three relievers have recorded at least one save, with closer J.J. Putz leading the way with five.
However, after his most recent appearance, in which he blew his fourth save in nine chances, there is plenty of chatter -— be it from fans or media -— for manager Kirk Gibson to make a change.
"We going to have to talk about this every day," Gibson answered when the question was asked about Putz's availability and status prior to the series finale against San Francisco.
Three minutes later Gibson said "it's possible, yes" Putz may not be available; and if needed, he has a number of options to turn to for the final out of a game.
"Anybody is available," he said. "We closed with (Matt) Reynolds two games in San Francisco. We'll go to anybody. Obviously, David's (Hernandez) got closing experience. Heath Bell's got closing experience. I think it could vary. I would close with (Josh) Collmenter. I've said that more than once. All of our guys are capable."
In terms of experience, Bell, with 154 saves over a ten-year career, makes the most sense.
Some would argue Hernandez would be the most logical choice, considering his experience as the eighth inning setup guy.
Reynolds has been the most effective, albeit with only the two opportunities.
And then there's Collmenter, who is a favorite of Gibson's, but doesn't have any closing experience in his career.
"I think what we have to do here is keep things in perspective," Gibson said as he discussed the bullpen as a whole.
"I'm just going to have to be really alert to not pushing guys like J.J. or anybody else on this staff at this point. We're at May 1st. Maybe in August it's a little different, but this is May 1st."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.