Updated May 1, 2013 - 12:33 pm
ESPN MLB analyst would give J.J. Putz one more chance
Putz wasn't as good last season, though he still nailed down 32 saves in 37 chances.
This season, though, things have really gone south for the veteran right-hander.
Putz has already blown a baseball-leading four saves -- in nine chances -- and is carrying a 4.26 ERA in 12.2 innings of work.
Following Putz's latest collapse Tuesday night against the San Francisco Giants, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson said he is not ready to mess with his team's bullpen, which has blown a total of nine saves this season.
ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian tends to agree, because you never know how players will react when placed in different roles.
But, he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, the D-backs, who are still in contention in the NL West, cannot keep losing late leads like they have been.
"That cannot keep up if the bullpen continues to pitch like this," he said. "I understand how the closer may be an overrated part of the game, I get all that. I've seen all the numbers and I've done all the research.
"But when you have a bad bullpen and you lose late leads, you simply can't win. You can't."
Kurkjian says he's talked to plenty of baseball people who believe losing in the manner that the D-backs have been is very damaging to a team. And, given how bad the team's bullpen was just a few years ago, few in the desert will disagree.
But does that mean it's time to demote their closer of the last couple seasons in favor of a different option, perhaps David Hernandez, Heath Bell or Matt Reynolds?
Kurkjian says no, at least not yet.
"I'm not sure what they can do about it except give J.J. Putz one more chance and tell him, 'look, it's got to be better,'" he said. "Which obviously he knows, but the problem is when you start messing with your bullpen -- taking guys out of roles, putting guys in new roles, you kind of have to reinvent things -- you don't want to do that.
"But sometimes you don't have any other choice."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?