Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 7:43 pm
D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius cleared for baseball activity
"He'll work out today," Gibson said. "He'll be out there, take ground balls, and he'll swing. He'll do everything today except play in the game."
Gregorius was put on the DL with a mild concussion on April 28, retroactive to April 27. He was struck in the head by a 93 MPH fastball from Rockies pitcher Josh Outman on April 26.
"Everything that is required and mandated by the team, they follow. You can rest assured our training staff is as good as anybody out there," said Gibson when asked about the timeline. "If he's doing what he's doing, obviously he's passed everything he needs to pass.
"As far as I know, today is the first day he's cleared to do all the activities on the field besides play."
The 23-year-old initially suffered a contusion to his right temple. At the time of his injury, Gregorius was hitting .407 in 30 plate appearances with the D-backs.
Aaron Hill not close
Gibson also gave an injury update on veteran infielder Aaron Hill. He's progressing but won't be coming back any time soon.
"This week he saw the doctor and they left him in a splint. Next up for him, I think in another week he'll go back. They did some strength tests and stuff," said Gibson Tuesday. "Next he'll start doing more exercises and stuff like that. I think they look to see how much the bone is regenerating. He's not there yet."
Hill was put on the 15-day DL with a broken hand on April 15. He suffered the injury when he was hit by a pitch on April 9 against Pittsburgh.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.