Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 7:43 pm
D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius cleared for baseball activity
"He'll work out today," Gibson said. "He'll be out there, take ground balls, and he'll swing. He'll do everything today except play in the game."
Gregorius was put on the DL with a mild concussion on April 28, retroactive to April 27. He was struck in the head by a 93 MPH fastball from Rockies pitcher Josh Outman on April 26.
"Everything that is required and mandated by the team, they follow. You can rest assured our training staff is as good as anybody out there," said Gibson when asked about the timeline. "If he's doing what he's doing, obviously he's passed everything he needs to pass.
"As far as I know, today is the first day he's cleared to do all the activities on the field besides play."
The 23-year-old initially suffered a contusion to his right temple. At the time of his injury, Gregorius was hitting .407 in 30 plate appearances with the D-backs.
Aaron Hill not close
Gibson also gave an injury update on veteran infielder Aaron Hill. He's progressing but won't be coming back any time soon.
"This week he saw the doctor and they left him in a splint. Next up for him, I think in another week he'll go back. They did some strength tests and stuff," said Gibson Tuesday. "Next he'll start doing more exercises and stuff like that. I think they look to see how much the bone is regenerating. He's not there yet."
Hill was put on the 15-day DL with a broken hand on April 15. He suffered the injury when he was hit by a pitch on April 9 against Pittsburgh.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?