Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 8:57 am
Tyler Skaggs' struggles continuing in Triple-A
After falling short in his quest to fill the D-backs' fifth starter role, he was optioned to Triple-A Reno.
It's still early, but the 21-year-old is struggling in the minors. Skaggs gave up eight runs -- five earned -- and nine hits in just 4.2 innings of work in a 9-5 loss to the Las Vegas 51's Monday night in Reno.
After opening the season by hurling six scoreless innings in a 14-1 win over Colorado Springs April 7, Skaggs has been roughed up pretty good by Pacific Coast League hitters. In his last four starts, Skaggs has given up 18 runs in 20.1 innings (7.97 ERA) while allowing 25 hits.
Interestingly, despite the number of runs he's given up, Skaggs has yet to allow a home run in 26.1 innings of work and left-handed hitters are hitting .292 against him -- versus a .250 mark by right-handers.
In nine starts (52.2 innings) at the Triple-A level last season, Skaggs went 4-2 with a 2.91 ERA.
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.