Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 8:57 am
Tyler Skaggs' struggles continuing in Triple-A
After falling short in his quest to fill the D-backs' fifth starter role, he was optioned to Triple-A Reno.
It's still early, but the 21-year-old is struggling in the minors. Skaggs gave up eight runs -- five earned -- and nine hits in just 4.2 innings of work in a 9-5 loss to the Las Vegas 51's Monday night in Reno.
After opening the season by hurling six scoreless innings in a 14-1 win over Colorado Springs April 7, Skaggs has been roughed up pretty good by Pacific Coast League hitters. In his last four starts, Skaggs has given up 18 runs in 20.1 innings (7.97 ERA) while allowing 25 hits.
Interestingly, despite the number of runs he's given up, Skaggs has yet to allow a home run in 26.1 innings of work and left-handed hitters are hitting .292 against him -- versus a .250 mark by right-handers.
In nine starts (52.2 innings) at the Triple-A level last season, Skaggs went 4-2 with a 2.91 ERA.
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.