Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Daniel Hudson 'right on track'
Arizona Diamonbacks right-hander Daniel Hudson threw a second batting practice session Monday morning at Salt River Fields.
"He looked good," manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hudson, who underwent Tommy John surgery in July, pitched two innings. He threw 20 pitches in each frame, facing four hitters each inning with each hitter getting five pitches.
"He was much better in the second inning," Gibson said.
According to his manager, Hudson rushed and overthrew a little bit during his stint.
"He was more out of the windup in his first inning (and was) just overthrowing," Gibson said. "He came back in the second inning, threw more out of the stretch, more compact and had much better location, kept the ball down.
"His velocity was good," Gibson continued. "Overall, it was good."
The plan, said Gibson, is to get Hudson into a five-day routine where he is throwing a bullpen session and playing long toss.
"We're trying to get him into what he would do if he was here today," Gibson said. "I don't know if we're going to do a (simulated) game or maybe pitch him in an extended game Saturday.
"I think he's ready, in his mind, to progress into games and compete."
Hudson, who last week threw his first batting practice (limited to 20 pitches), used his entire arsenal of pitches, according to Gibson.
"He's right on schedule," Gibson said.
The schedule has Hudson returning prior to the All-Star break in July.
"If everything goes smooth I hope so, yeah. Say somewhere right before there, yes," Gibson said. "We'll see how it goes now as he starts to get into more innings and competing in games."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.