Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Daniel Hudson 'right on track'
Arizona Diamonbacks right-hander Daniel Hudson threw a second batting practice session Monday morning at Salt River Fields.
"He looked good," manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hudson, who underwent Tommy John surgery in July, pitched two innings. He threw 20 pitches in each frame, facing four hitters each inning with each hitter getting five pitches.
"He was much better in the second inning," Gibson said.
According to his manager, Hudson rushed and overthrew a little bit during his stint.
"He was more out of the windup in his first inning (and was) just overthrowing," Gibson said. "He came back in the second inning, threw more out of the stretch, more compact and had much better location, kept the ball down.
"His velocity was good," Gibson continued. "Overall, it was good."
The plan, said Gibson, is to get Hudson into a five-day routine where he is throwing a bullpen session and playing long toss.
"We're trying to get him into what he would do if he was here today," Gibson said. "I don't know if we're going to do a (simulated) game or maybe pitch him in an extended game Saturday.
"I think he's ready, in his mind, to progress into games and compete."
Hudson, who last week threw his first batting practice (limited to 20 pitches), used his entire arsenal of pitches, according to Gibson.
"He's right on schedule," Gibson said.
The schedule has Hudson returning prior to the All-Star break in July.
"If everything goes smooth I hope so, yeah. Say somewhere right before there, yes," Gibson said. "We'll see how it goes now as he starts to get into more innings and competing in games."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.