Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Daniel Hudson 'right on track'
Arizona Diamonbacks right-hander Daniel Hudson threw a second batting practice session Monday morning at Salt River Fields.
"He looked good," manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hudson, who underwent Tommy John surgery in July, pitched two innings. He threw 20 pitches in each frame, facing four hitters each inning with each hitter getting five pitches.
"He was much better in the second inning," Gibson said.
According to his manager, Hudson rushed and overthrew a little bit during his stint.
"He was more out of the windup in his first inning (and was) just overthrowing," Gibson said. "He came back in the second inning, threw more out of the stretch, more compact and had much better location, kept the ball down.
"His velocity was good," Gibson continued. "Overall, it was good."
The plan, said Gibson, is to get Hudson into a five-day routine where he is throwing a bullpen session and playing long toss.
"We're trying to get him into what he would do if he was here today," Gibson said. "I don't know if we're going to do a (simulated) game or maybe pitch him in an extended game Saturday.
"I think he's ready, in his mind, to progress into games and compete."
Hudson, who last week threw his first batting practice (limited to 20 pitches), used his entire arsenal of pitches, according to Gibson.
"He's right on schedule," Gibson said.
The schedule has Hudson returning prior to the All-Star break in July.
"If everything goes smooth I hope so, yeah. Say somewhere right before there, yes," Gibson said. "We'll see how it goes now as he starts to get into more innings and competing in games."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.