Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 4:49 pm
Gibson on managing gay player: 'Nothing would change'
Collins' announcement follows weeks of rumors about a possible quartet of gay NFL players to also come out of the closet, but that hasn't happened just yet.
For decades, there have been gay players in team sports, but the lack of gay players coming out has led to discussion among the masses about whether or not a homosexual male would be accepted in a pro locker room.
It was a question posed to Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson Monday.
"If one of my players came out and said they were gay, I'd have no reaction to it at all. I wouldn't treat him any differently," Gibson said. "I'm 56 years old almost, I've gone through a lot in life and I think one of our goals is to not be discriminatory towards anybody based upon their race, their sexuality or whatever it may be."
Gibson believes his concern is only about how is player fares on the field.
"I'd want to know if he could play tomorrow," he said. "How his arm was feeling, whether he could swing the bat properly. That's where my focus would go. Nothing would change, certainly not."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.