Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 4:49 pm
Gibson on managing gay player: 'Nothing would change'
Collins' announcement follows weeks of rumors about a possible quartet of gay NFL players to also come out of the closet, but that hasn't happened just yet.
For decades, there have been gay players in team sports, but the lack of gay players coming out has led to discussion among the masses about whether or not a homosexual male would be accepted in a pro locker room.
It was a question posed to Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson Monday.
"If one of my players came out and said they were gay, I'd have no reaction to it at all. I wouldn't treat him any differently," Gibson said. "I'm 56 years old almost, I've gone through a lot in life and I think one of our goals is to not be discriminatory towards anybody based upon their race, their sexuality or whatever it may be."
Gibson believes his concern is only about how is player fares on the field.
"I'd want to know if he could play tomorrow," he said. "How his arm was feeling, whether he could swing the bat properly. That's where my focus would go. Nothing would change, certainly not."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.