Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 4:49 pm
Gibson on managing gay player: 'Nothing would change'
Collins' announcement follows weeks of rumors about a possible quartet of gay NFL players to also come out of the closet, but that hasn't happened just yet.
For decades, there have been gay players in team sports, but the lack of gay players coming out has led to discussion among the masses about whether or not a homosexual male would be accepted in a pro locker room.
It was a question posed to Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson Monday.
"If one of my players came out and said they were gay, I'd have no reaction to it at all. I wouldn't treat him any differently," Gibson said. "I'm 56 years old almost, I've gone through a lot in life and I think one of our goals is to not be discriminatory towards anybody based upon their race, their sexuality or whatever it may be."
Gibson believes his concern is only about how is player fares on the field.
"I'd want to know if he could play tomorrow," he said. "How his arm was feeling, whether he could swing the bat properly. That's where my focus would go. Nothing would change, certainly not."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.