Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 7:56 am
Grit Index: D-backs win three of four from Rockies
Starter Patrick Corbin continued to impress with his fifth quality start in as many appearances this season. Corbin worked 6.2 innings and gave up nine hits but allowed only two earned runs. He also struck out five while walking none. The 23-year-old is 3-0 in 2013 with a 1.91 ERA.
As for the offense, three of the six runs that scored between the two clubs came across either on a wild pitch or passed ball. Arizona benefited from mistakes twice in the third inning with Cliff Pennington coming home on a passed ball and Gerardo Parra scoring on a wild pitch. The other two D-back runs were the result of an RBI double by Josh Wilson and an RBI single by Cody Ross in the fourth and fifth innings, respectively.
The Rockies scratched their only two runs across in the sixth. Eric Young Jr. led off with his third double of the day and came home on a single by Dexter Fowler. Fowler also scored on a wild pitch from Corbin.
The D-backs are now 15-10 on the season and that marks the second-best start in franchise history dating back to 2006. They were 18-7 in 2008.
Corbin opened the season with five straight starts of at least six innings pitched and two runs or less allowed. That five game streak to start the season is the second-longest by a D-backs pitcher in club history, trailing only Dan Haren's six-game stretch from April 7- May 2 of 2009.
Arizona also got some quality innings from their bullpen again. Matt Reynolds, Heath Bell and J.J. Putz all pitched on Sunday. Reynolds now has 15 straight scoreless outings dating back to 2012 and covering a career-high 14.0 innings.
Although outfielder Jason Kubel returned from the disabled list on Sunday, he didn't contribute offensively. Kubel went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and was pinch-hit for in the eighth inning.
• Parra extended his career-high hit streak to 13 games with a single in the third inning on Sunday. Parra ended the day 2-for-4 with a single, a triple and two runs scored.
• Veteran Martin Prado was given the day off on Sunday. He's in the midst of a 1-for-22 slump.
• Before the game, the D-backs activated Kubel off the 15-day disabled list and placed shortstop Didi Gregorius on the 7-day concussion DL. He was hit in the head by a pitch on Friday night.
• The D-backs are 8-0 in series finales this season and they've won five of their last six games.
• Arizona also likes to keep things close with 18 of 25 games decided by two runs or less.
He Said It:
"I liked him since last spring. He just competes. He works on the things and understands the tools that he's acquired and he utilizes them. He's got good game." -- Manager Kirk Gibson on Corbin and the year he's having so far.
The Diamondbacks start a series with NL West foe San Francisco on Monday at Chase Field. The Giants will look to righty Matt Cain for the start and the D-backs turn to ace Ian Kennedy. The two faced each other just last week in San Francisco. Kennedy didn't factor in Arizona's win that day even though he pitched six solid innings and allowed just one earned run. First pitch is set for 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.