Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 5:37 pm
Adam Eaton staying patient while anticipating return
Though projected to be the Diamondbacks' everyday centerfielder and leadoff man, Eaton began the season on the disabled list with a left elbow strain he suffered midway through spring training.
So far, eagerness has been the hardest thing to cope with during the 24-year-old's DL stint.
"(On a scale of 1-10), I was a 10 in eagerness the day I got hurt," Eaton said before Friday's game against the division-rival Rockies. "It's tough. As a rookie, on Opening Day you want to be out there contributing but instead you're on the disabled list."
And while the Diamondbacks' outfield has been solid in Eaton's absence, his skill on the bases is sorely missed. Entering play on Friday, no team has been less efficient at stealing bases than the Diamondbacks, who are tied for both the fewest stolen bases (5) and the most times caught stealing (7). Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock account for all of the team's stolen bases.
In 319 minor league games, Eaton swiped 98 bases. Last season, he tallied 44 of those while only being caught stealing 11 times in separate stints with Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno.
"When I get back, I just want to do what I do," Eaton said. "I want to try to get back in the lineup, be a catalyst at the top of the order. Get on base, wreak some havoc, score some runs."
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.