Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN analyst: Gregorius showing why Towers was so high on him
In short, the 23-year-old looks every bit the long-term answer at the position for the team.
"Now we know what (D-backs general manager) Kevin Towers was talking about when he went after this kid and went after him as hard as he did," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We heard all spring training he's a terrific defensive player, which he has been, but I had scouts tell me the entire spring the bat is a question and has been one."
Yet, Kurkjian said scouts are noticing what the rest of us have seen: his bat is nothing to sneeze at.
"This kid's swing is a little firmer than people are giving him credit for," he said.
That's not to say Gregorius is destined for a Silver Slugger Award or is even ready to stake claim as one of the league's best middle infielders. After all, he's only six games -- and 20 at bats -- into his Diamondbacks career.
However, the early returns on one of the D-backs' key offseason acquisition have been very positive, which is a great sign going forward.
"If he hits at all, that's a real bonus because you know he's going to give them tremendous athleticism and defense at shortstop," Kurkjian said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.