Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN analyst: Gregorius showing why Towers was so high on him
In short, the 23-year-old looks every bit the long-term answer at the position for the team.
"Now we know what (D-backs general manager) Kevin Towers was talking about when he went after this kid and went after him as hard as he did," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We heard all spring training he's a terrific defensive player, which he has been, but I had scouts tell me the entire spring the bat is a question and has been one."
Yet, Kurkjian said scouts are noticing what the rest of us have seen: his bat is nothing to sneeze at.
"This kid's swing is a little firmer than people are giving him credit for," he said.
That's not to say Gregorius is destined for a Silver Slugger Award or is even ready to stake claim as one of the league's best middle infielders. After all, he's only six games -- and 20 at bats -- into his Diamondbacks career.
However, the early returns on one of the D-backs' key offseason acquisition have been very positive, which is a great sign going forward.
"If he hits at all, that's a real bonus because you know he's going to give them tremendous athleticism and defense at shortstop," Kurkjian said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.