Grit Index: D-backs blow lead again, rally in 11th for win over Giants
The Arizona Diamondbacks certainly have a flair for the dramatic. After the bullpen blew another lead late, the D-backs rallied to score two runs in the 11th inning to defeat the Giants 6-4.
Didi Gregorius crossed the plate with the go-ahead run in the 11th inning on a wild pitch. Gerardo Parra added an insurance run on an RBI double to seal the D-backs' victory.
D-backs' starter Patrick Corbin was brilliant, allowing two runs on six hits in 7.1 IP. He struck out seven Giants on the night. Corbin was in line for his third win of the year before the D-backs' bullpen imploded yet again. The southpaw is 2-0 with a pristine 1.71 ERA on the year.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt had a standout night at the plate for Arizona, going 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI. Goldschmidt saw his average rise to .329 on the season.
The D-backs' bullpen woes were exacerbated in Tuesday's game against the Giants when they surrendered four runs combined in the eighth and ninth innings. For the second straight night, D-backs' relievers have blown a lead late in the ballgame.
Brandon Belt once again proved to be a thorn in the D-backs' side. One day after hitting a walk-off single, Belt took Arizona closer J.J. Putz deep in the ninth inning with a game-tying two-run blast.
This was the third blown save of the season for Putz, who saw his ERA climb to 5.00.
• The D-backs have had 14 of 20 games (6-8 record) decided by two runs or less.
The D-backs and Giants will conclude their three-game set on Wednesday, April 24 at 12:45 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (1-2, 5.47 ERA) will start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by left-hander Madison Bumgarner (3-0, 2.05) for the Giants.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.