Grit Index: D-backs blow lead again, rally in 11th for win over Giants
The Arizona Diamondbacks certainly have a flair for the dramatic. After the bullpen blew another lead late, the D-backs rallied to score two runs in the 11th inning to defeat the Giants 6-4.
Didi Gregorius crossed the plate with the go-ahead run in the 11th inning on a wild pitch. Gerardo Parra added an insurance run on an RBI double to seal the D-backs' victory.
D-backs' starter Patrick Corbin was brilliant, allowing two runs on six hits in 7.1 IP. He struck out seven Giants on the night. Corbin was in line for his third win of the year before the D-backs' bullpen imploded yet again. The southpaw is 2-0 with a pristine 1.71 ERA on the year.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt had a standout night at the plate for Arizona, going 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI. Goldschmidt saw his average rise to .329 on the season.
The D-backs' bullpen woes were exacerbated in Tuesday's game against the Giants when they surrendered four runs combined in the eighth and ninth innings. For the second straight night, D-backs' relievers have blown a lead late in the ballgame.
Brandon Belt once again proved to be a thorn in the D-backs' side. One day after hitting a walk-off single, Belt took Arizona closer J.J. Putz deep in the ninth inning with a game-tying two-run blast.
This was the third blown save of the season for Putz, who saw his ERA climb to 5.00.
• The D-backs have had 14 of 20 games (6-8 record) decided by two runs or less.
The D-backs and Giants will conclude their three-game set on Wednesday, April 24 at 12:45 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (1-2, 5.47 ERA) will start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by left-hander Madison Bumgarner (3-0, 2.05) for the Giants.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.