Grit Index: D-backs blow lead again, rally in 11th for win over Giants
The Arizona Diamondbacks certainly have a flair for the dramatic. After the bullpen blew another lead late, the D-backs rallied to score two runs in the 11th inning to defeat the Giants 6-4.
Didi Gregorius crossed the plate with the go-ahead run in the 11th inning on a wild pitch. Gerardo Parra added an insurance run on an RBI double to seal the D-backs' victory.
D-backs' starter Patrick Corbin was brilliant, allowing two runs on six hits in 7.1 IP. He struck out seven Giants on the night. Corbin was in line for his third win of the year before the D-backs' bullpen imploded yet again. The southpaw is 2-0 with a pristine 1.71 ERA on the year.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt had a standout night at the plate for Arizona, going 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI. Goldschmidt saw his average rise to .329 on the season.
The D-backs' bullpen woes were exacerbated in Tuesday's game against the Giants when they surrendered four runs combined in the eighth and ninth innings. For the second straight night, D-backs' relievers have blown a lead late in the ballgame.
Brandon Belt once again proved to be a thorn in the D-backs' side. One day after hitting a walk-off single, Belt took Arizona closer J.J. Putz deep in the ninth inning with a game-tying two-run blast.
This was the third blown save of the season for Putz, who saw his ERA climb to 5.00.
• The D-backs have had 14 of 20 games (6-8 record) decided by two runs or less.
The D-backs and Giants will conclude their three-game set on Wednesday, April 24 at 12:45 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (1-2, 5.47 ERA) will start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by left-hander Madison Bumgarner (3-0, 2.05) for the Giants.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.