Grit Index: D-backs blow lead again, rally in 11th for win over Giants
The Arizona Diamondbacks certainly have a flair for the dramatic. After the bullpen blew another lead late, the D-backs rallied to score two runs in the 11th inning to defeat the Giants 6-4.
Didi Gregorius crossed the plate with the go-ahead run in the 11th inning on a wild pitch. Gerardo Parra added an insurance run on an RBI double to seal the D-backs' victory.
D-backs' starter Patrick Corbin was brilliant, allowing two runs on six hits in 7.1 IP. He struck out seven Giants on the night. Corbin was in line for his third win of the year before the D-backs' bullpen imploded yet again. The southpaw is 2-0 with a pristine 1.71 ERA on the year.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt had a standout night at the plate for Arizona, going 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI. Goldschmidt saw his average rise to .329 on the season.
The D-backs' bullpen woes were exacerbated in Tuesday's game against the Giants when they surrendered four runs combined in the eighth and ninth innings. For the second straight night, D-backs' relievers have blown a lead late in the ballgame.
Brandon Belt once again proved to be a thorn in the D-backs' side. One day after hitting a walk-off single, Belt took Arizona closer J.J. Putz deep in the ninth inning with a game-tying two-run blast.
This was the third blown save of the season for Putz, who saw his ERA climb to 5.00.
• The D-backs have had 14 of 20 games (6-8 record) decided by two runs or less.
The D-backs and Giants will conclude their three-game set on Wednesday, April 24 at 12:45 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (1-2, 5.47 ERA) will start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by left-hander Madison Bumgarner (3-0, 2.05) for the Giants.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.