Grit Index: D-backs blow lead again, rally in 11th for win over Giants
The Arizona Diamondbacks certainly have a flair for the dramatic. After the bullpen blew another lead late, the D-backs rallied to score two runs in the 11th inning to defeat the Giants 6-4.
Didi Gregorius crossed the plate with the go-ahead run in the 11th inning on a wild pitch. Gerardo Parra added an insurance run on an RBI double to seal the D-backs' victory.
D-backs' starter Patrick Corbin was brilliant, allowing two runs on six hits in 7.1 IP. He struck out seven Giants on the night. Corbin was in line for his third win of the year before the D-backs' bullpen imploded yet again. The southpaw is 2-0 with a pristine 1.71 ERA on the year.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt had a standout night at the plate for Arizona, going 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI. Goldschmidt saw his average rise to .329 on the season.
The D-backs' bullpen woes were exacerbated in Tuesday's game against the Giants when they surrendered four runs combined in the eighth and ninth innings. For the second straight night, D-backs' relievers have blown a lead late in the ballgame.
Brandon Belt once again proved to be a thorn in the D-backs' side. One day after hitting a walk-off single, Belt took Arizona closer J.J. Putz deep in the ninth inning with a game-tying two-run blast.
This was the third blown save of the season for Putz, who saw his ERA climb to 5.00.
• The D-backs have had 14 of 20 games (6-8 record) decided by two runs or less.
The D-backs and Giants will conclude their three-game set on Wednesday, April 24 at 12:45 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (1-2, 5.47 ERA) will start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by left-hander Madison Bumgarner (3-0, 2.05) for the Giants.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.