Grit Index: D-backs cough up late lead, fall to Giants
The Giants rallied at home against D-backs' reliever Tony Sipp in the ninth when Brandon Belt hit his first career game-winning hit, a walk off single, to send the D-backs to a 5-4 loss in the series opener.
The D-backs blew a two-run lead in the eighth inning when Giants' catcher Buster Posey hit the game-tying home run off of David Hernandez.
D-backs starter Wade Miley was impressive on the mound against the Giants, allowing two runs on seven hits in 6.2 innings. Unfortunately, the D-backs' bullpen cost Miley the win.
The D-backs' left-hander is 2-0 with a 2.77 ERA and 23 strikeouts in four starts this season.
Miley also hit a fifth inning home run -- his first carer long ball -- off Giants' starter Ryan Vogelsong. His home run was the first hit for a D-backs pitcher this season.
Prior to Monday's game, Miley was 0-for-5 at the plate this year and just 12-for-83 in his career with a .145 average and two doubles.
D-backs' relievers David Hernandez and Tony Sipp combined to allow three runs on four hits in two innings of work. Hernandez suffered his first blown save of the season, while Sipp was handed his first loss.
• The D-backs played in their third straight one-run contest.
• Miley has yet to record a win in three career starts and four appearances against the Giants.
• Cody Ross made his first trip back to San Francisco since signing with the Boston Red Sox before the 2012 season. Ross went 1-for-4 with two RBI against the Giants on Monday night.
The D-backs and Giants will play the second game of their three-game series at 7:15 p.m. MST. Left-hander Patrick Corbin (2-0, 1.42 ERA) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Matt Cain (0-2, 7.15 ERA) for San Francisco.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.