Grit Index: D-backs cough up late lead, fall to Giants
The Giants rallied at home against D-backs' reliever Tony Sipp in the ninth when Brandon Belt hit his first career game-winning hit, a walk off single, to send the D-backs to a 5-4 loss in the series opener.
The D-backs blew a two-run lead in the eighth inning when Giants' catcher Buster Posey hit the game-tying home run off of David Hernandez.
D-backs starter Wade Miley was impressive on the mound against the Giants, allowing two runs on seven hits in 6.2 innings. Unfortunately, the D-backs' bullpen cost Miley the win.
The D-backs' left-hander is 2-0 with a 2.77 ERA and 23 strikeouts in four starts this season.
Miley also hit a fifth inning home run -- his first carer long ball -- off Giants' starter Ryan Vogelsong. His home run was the first hit for a D-backs pitcher this season.
Prior to Monday's game, Miley was 0-for-5 at the plate this year and just 12-for-83 in his career with a .145 average and two doubles.
D-backs' relievers David Hernandez and Tony Sipp combined to allow three runs on four hits in two innings of work. Hernandez suffered his first blown save of the season, while Sipp was handed his first loss.
• The D-backs played in their third straight one-run contest.
• Miley has yet to record a win in three career starts and four appearances against the Giants.
• Cody Ross made his first trip back to San Francisco since signing with the Boston Red Sox before the 2012 season. Ross went 1-for-4 with two RBI against the Giants on Monday night.
The D-backs and Giants will play the second game of their three-game series at 7:15 p.m. MST. Left-hander Patrick Corbin (2-0, 1.42 ERA) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Matt Cain (0-2, 7.15 ERA) for San Francisco.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.