Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 1:20 pm
Didi Gregorius has impressive D-backs debut
Didi Gregorius hit a home run in his first at bat off of Yankees starter Phil Hughes, and then doubled in his second at bat against the hurler. It was his first big league homer.
Gregorius, who finished 2-for-5 on the night, also played stellar defense as the Diamondbacks earned a 6-2 win in extra innings.
"It's every kid's dream to be able to play in this stadium," Gregorius told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. "I got a chance and I hit a home run, too. It was really exciting for me."
This was not Gregorius' Major League debut, as that came with the Cincinnati Reds last season. But as far as first impressions with a new team can go, it would have been tough for the 23-year-old to do any better.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.