Updated Apr 17, 2013 - 8:52 pm
D-backs GM: A.J. Pollock is a player who 'just grows on you'
A fourth outfielder at best, the team most certainly would have preferred to begin the season with some combination of Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Cody Ross and Gerardo Parra in the outfield, leaving no room for the former first round pick.
Yet, injuries to Eaton, Kubel and Ross have forced the team into playing Pollock, and all he's done is deliver to the tune of a .308 average with two home runs and eight RBI.
As Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, this is why he has brought in outfielders the last two seasons when it seemed like there was no need at the position.
"You need depth, and depth is really big," he said. "I think that's what's kind of kept us afloat, is our depth."
"He's a great player," Towers said. "He's one of those guys, they always talk about our top prospects and they usually never bring his name up. Not from us, he's kind of always been on our radar screen, we've just had so many outfielders, it's been tough to get him the time up here and the at bats."
Towers said Pollock is the type of player who "just grows on you," because he can do a little bit of everything at the plate and is as solid as they come defensively.
Then again, this was not necessarily in the plans.
Pollock hit .247 with two home runs and eight RBI last season in 81 at bats, and while he is with the big league club for a reason, there were no designs on having him be an every day contributor. But circumstances have dictated a different course, and it's worked out pretty well so far.
"It's just nice that he's gotten an opportunity, he's taken great advantage of it," Towers said. "I think this experience up here, playing and performing, is only going to make him better in the future."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.