Grit Index: McCarthy, D-backs fall to Yankees in interleague opener
On a night honoring the Boston Marathon bombing victims, the Diamondbacks dropped their road opener to the Yankees 4-2.
Robinson Cano blasted a fourth inning three-run home run off D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy to give the Yankees a lead they wouldn't relinquish.
The D-backs took an early lead against Yankees starter Ivan Nova behind Miguel Montero's third inning sacrifice fly and Cody Ross's RBI single.
The single was the first hit for Ross in a D-backs' uniform. He finished the night 2-for-4 with an RBI.
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy found himself in early trouble, but was able to wiggle his way out of two bases-loaded jams in the first and second innings. But Cano made McCarthy pay in the fourth when he took the D-backs' hurler deep.
Cano went 2-for-4 on the night with three RBI and a home run against Arizona.
McCarthy lasted just four innings and surrendered three runs on nine hits and threw 102 pitches. The D-backs' right-hander fell to 0-2 on the season.
• This was the D-backs first trip to the new Yankee Stadium. Arizona's last visit to the Bronx was in 2007.
• The D-backs hosted the newest member of the Phoenix Mercury, Brittney Griner, at Yankee Stadium. Griner was selected with the first overall pick in the WNBA Draft on Monday.
• The Yankees played "Sweet Caroline" in the third inning of their game against the D-backs as a tribute to Boston.
The D-backs and Yankees will play the second game of their three-game interleague series on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Wade Miley will take the mound for the D-backs against the Yankees' C.C. Sabathia. The game is scheduled to start at 4:05 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.