Grit Index: McCarthy, D-backs fall to Yankees in interleague opener
On a night honoring the Boston Marathon bombing victims, the Diamondbacks dropped their road opener to the Yankees 4-2.
Robinson Cano blasted a fourth inning three-run home run off D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy to give the Yankees a lead they wouldn't relinquish.
The D-backs took an early lead against Yankees starter Ivan Nova behind Miguel Montero's third inning sacrifice fly and Cody Ross's RBI single.
The single was the first hit for Ross in a D-backs' uniform. He finished the night 2-for-4 with an RBI.
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy found himself in early trouble, but was able to wiggle his way out of two bases-loaded jams in the first and second innings. But Cano made McCarthy pay in the fourth when he took the D-backs' hurler deep.
Cano went 2-for-4 on the night with three RBI and a home run against Arizona.
McCarthy lasted just four innings and surrendered three runs on nine hits and threw 102 pitches. The D-backs' right-hander fell to 0-2 on the season.
• This was the D-backs first trip to the new Yankee Stadium. Arizona's last visit to the Bronx was in 2007.
• The D-backs hosted the newest member of the Phoenix Mercury, Brittney Griner, at Yankee Stadium. Griner was selected with the first overall pick in the WNBA Draft on Monday.
• The Yankees played "Sweet Caroline" in the third inning of their game against the D-backs as a tribute to Boston.
The D-backs and Yankees will play the second game of their three-game interleague series on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Wade Miley will take the mound for the D-backs against the Yankees' C.C. Sabathia. The game is scheduled to start at 4:05 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.