Grit Index: McCarthy, D-backs fall to Yankees in interleague opener
On a night honoring the Boston Marathon bombing victims, the Diamondbacks dropped their road opener to the Yankees 4-2.
Robinson Cano blasted a fourth inning three-run home run off D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy to give the Yankees a lead they wouldn't relinquish.
The D-backs took an early lead against Yankees starter Ivan Nova behind Miguel Montero's third inning sacrifice fly and Cody Ross's RBI single.
The single was the first hit for Ross in a D-backs' uniform. He finished the night 2-for-4 with an RBI.
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy found himself in early trouble, but was able to wiggle his way out of two bases-loaded jams in the first and second innings. But Cano made McCarthy pay in the fourth when he took the D-backs' hurler deep.
Cano went 2-for-4 on the night with three RBI and a home run against Arizona.
McCarthy lasted just four innings and surrendered three runs on nine hits and threw 102 pitches. The D-backs' right-hander fell to 0-2 on the season.
This was the D-backs first trip to the new Yankee Stadium. Arizona's last visit to the Bronx was in 2007.
The D-backs hosted the newest member of the Phoenix Mercury, Brittney Griner, at Yankee Stadium. Griner was selected with the first overall pick in the WNBA Draft on Monday.
The Yankees played "Sweet Caroline" in the third inning of their game against the D-backs as a tribute to Boston.
The D-backs and Yankees will play the second game of their three-game interleague series on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Wade Miley will take the mound for the D-backs against the Yankees' C.C. Sabathia. The game is scheduled to start at 4:05 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.