Grit Index: McCarthy, D-backs fall to Yankees in interleague opener
On a night honoring the Boston Marathon bombing victims, the Diamondbacks dropped their road opener to the Yankees 4-2.
Robinson Cano blasted a fourth inning three-run home run off D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy to give the Yankees a lead they wouldn't relinquish.
The D-backs took an early lead against Yankees starter Ivan Nova behind Miguel Montero's third inning sacrifice fly and Cody Ross's RBI single.
The single was the first hit for Ross in a D-backs' uniform. He finished the night 2-for-4 with an RBI.
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy found himself in early trouble, but was able to wiggle his way out of two bases-loaded jams in the first and second innings. But Cano made McCarthy pay in the fourth when he took the D-backs' hurler deep.
Cano went 2-for-4 on the night with three RBI and a home run against Arizona.
McCarthy lasted just four innings and surrendered three runs on nine hits and threw 102 pitches. The D-backs' right-hander fell to 0-2 on the season.
• This was the D-backs first trip to the new Yankee Stadium. Arizona's last visit to the Bronx was in 2007.
• The D-backs hosted the newest member of the Phoenix Mercury, Brittney Griner, at Yankee Stadium. Griner was selected with the first overall pick in the WNBA Draft on Monday.
• The Yankees played "Sweet Caroline" in the third inning of their game against the D-backs as a tribute to Boston.
The D-backs and Yankees will play the second game of their three-game interleague series on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Wade Miley will take the mound for the D-backs against the Yankees' C.C. Sabathia. The game is scheduled to start at 4:05 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.