Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 1:05 pm
D-backs' Kirk Gibson outlines Aaron Hill's recovery timetable
Hill was hit on the hand by a James McDonald pitch in the fifth inning of a 6-5 loss to the Pittsburgh last Tuesday. The 31-year-old missed the next two games and returned Saturday deliver a pinch-hit RBI double in a loss to the Dodgers.
Hill was back in the lineup Sunday, but left after one at-bat.
"He checked his swing on Sunday and kind of felt a little pain in his hand in the spot where he got hurt," manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "He just came up to me and told me 'I can't swing,' so I asked if he could play a little defense and give me a chance to get (A.J. Pollock) loosened up."
Hill was off to a solid start this season, batting .306 (11-for-36) with two home runs, six RBI and had struck out only once in 42 plate appearances.
"They did a CT scan on him an it showed a little surface crack in one of the bones in the back of his hand," Gibson said. "Probably two weeks in a soft cast, he'll probably start light swinging in three weeks, and hopefully we'll get him back shortly after that."
Hill was a stalwart in the D-backs' lineup a year ago when he hit 26 home runs, drove in 85 runs and hit .306 -- statistics good enough to earn him the National League Silver Slugger Award for second basemen.
"It's a big loss to lose Aaron Hill for four-to-six weeks, but our mindset is going to be we've got to cover up until he can get healthy and get back," Gibson said. "And I feel that we will."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.