Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 1:05 pm
D-backs' Kirk Gibson outlines Aaron Hill's recovery timetable
Hill was hit on the hand by a James McDonald pitch in the fifth inning of a 6-5 loss to the Pittsburgh last Tuesday. The 31-year-old missed the next two games and returned Saturday deliver a pinch-hit RBI double in a loss to the Dodgers.
Hill was back in the lineup Sunday, but left after one at-bat.
"He checked his swing on Sunday and kind of felt a little pain in his hand in the spot where he got hurt," manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "He just came up to me and told me 'I can't swing,' so I asked if he could play a little defense and give me a chance to get (A.J. Pollock) loosened up."
Hill was off to a solid start this season, batting .306 (11-for-36) with two home runs, six RBI and had struck out only once in 42 plate appearances.
"They did a CT scan on him an it showed a little surface crack in one of the bones in the back of his hand," Gibson said. "Probably two weeks in a soft cast, he'll probably start light swinging in three weeks, and hopefully we'll get him back shortly after that."
Hill was a stalwart in the D-backs' lineup a year ago when he hit 26 home runs, drove in 85 runs and hit .306 -- statistics good enough to earn him the National League Silver Slugger Award for second basemen.
"It's a big loss to lose Aaron Hill for four-to-six weeks, but our mindset is going to be we've got to cover up until he can get healthy and get back," Gibson said. "And I feel that we will."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.