Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 12:40 pm
D-backs place 2B Aaron Hill on the DL, reinstate SS Didi Gregorius
Hill originally suffered the injury after being hit by a James McDonald pitch on April 9 vs. Pittsburgh. He took a few days off and returned on April 13 -- even collecting a double in one at-bat -- but left during the middle of the next day's game.
"I was very disappointed [Monday] when I learned the extent of my hand injury," said Hill. "I am going to take some time off from baseball activities to let the break heal before starting the rehab process. I am committed to do everything in my power to return to the lineup as soon as possible."
The 31-year-old is batting .306 with three doubles, two home runs and six RBI in 10 games.
"It is really unfortunate to lose not only a talented baseball player but a tremendous teammate in Aaron Hill for the near future," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "We are confident that the depth we have in the middle infield will serve us well while Aaron recovers."
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have reinstated shortstop Didi Gregorius from the disabled list.
Acquired by the Diamondbacks in the deal that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, the 23-year-old was hitting .387 with two doubles, two home runs and two RBI in seven rehab games with Triple-A Reno.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.