Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 12:40 pm
D-backs place 2B Aaron Hill on the DL, reinstate SS Didi Gregorius
Hill originally suffered the injury after being hit by a James McDonald pitch on April 9 vs. Pittsburgh. He took a few days off and returned on April 13 -- even collecting a double in one at-bat -- but left during the middle of the next day's game.
"I was very disappointed [Monday] when I learned the extent of my hand injury," said Hill. "I am going to take some time off from baseball activities to let the break heal before starting the rehab process. I am committed to do everything in my power to return to the lineup as soon as possible."
The 31-year-old is batting .306 with three doubles, two home runs and six RBI in 10 games.
"It is really unfortunate to lose not only a talented baseball player but a tremendous teammate in Aaron Hill for the near future," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "We are confident that the depth we have in the middle infield will serve us well while Aaron recovers."
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have reinstated shortstop Didi Gregorius from the disabled list.
Acquired by the Diamondbacks in the deal that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, the 23-year-old was hitting .387 with two doubles, two home runs and two RBI in seven rehab games with Triple-A Reno.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rumor mill
- Arizona Diamonbacks reportedly trying to sign OF Shin-Soo Choo
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.