Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 12:40 pm
D-backs place 2B Aaron Hill on the DL, reinstate SS Didi Gregorius
Hill originally suffered the injury after being hit by a James McDonald pitch on April 9 vs. Pittsburgh. He took a few days off and returned on April 13 -- even collecting a double in one at-bat -- but left during the middle of the next day's game.
"I was very disappointed [Monday] when I learned the extent of my hand injury," said Hill. "I am going to take some time off from baseball activities to let the break heal before starting the rehab process. I am committed to do everything in my power to return to the lineup as soon as possible."
The 31-year-old is batting .306 with three doubles, two home runs and six RBI in 10 games.
"It is really unfortunate to lose not only a talented baseball player but a tremendous teammate in Aaron Hill for the near future," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "We are confident that the depth we have in the middle infield will serve us well while Aaron recovers."
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have reinstated shortstop Didi Gregorius from the disabled list.
Acquired by the Diamondbacks in the deal that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, the 23-year-old was hitting .387 with two doubles, two home runs and two RBI in seven rehab games with Triple-A Reno.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.