Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 5:16 pm
In a pinch, D-backs hitters are finding success
Perhaps he shouldn't try.
Diamondbacks pinch hitters are 7-for-19 (.368) with two doubles, one home run and six RBI in the first 12 games of the 2013 season.
Hinske is responsible for three of those hits, including a home run (the 11th inning game-winner at Milwaukee on April 7) and four runs driven in.
"You just go out there and try to have a professional at-bat and sometimes you get hits, sometimes you don't," he said.
Recently, there have been more hits than outs.
Saturday, pinch hitters went 3-for-4 with three RBI. Hinske and Eric Chavez both singled in the seventh to drive in runs. Aaron Hill doubled home a run in the eighth, while Wil Nieves lined out in the ninth.
"I'm still learning," said Hinske, 60-for-270 (.222) in his career as a pinch hitter. "You never ever have it figured out."
He said he begins to "get ready for a minute of work" in the fourth inning, getting himself both physically and mentally prepared. Then, he waits for his number to be called.
"Guys have experience; good frames of mind," manager Kirk Gibson said. "(Hinske's) got 11 years of experience. Chavez, 14 years of experience. It definitely helps.
"Then they just prepared properly," Gibson continued. "We started on it in spring training, bringing them off the bench. Just keep them ready and they're well prepared to do that."
In 2012, D-backs pinch hitters batted .233 (49-for-210) with three home runs and 20 RBI.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.