Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 5:16 pm
In a pinch, D-backs hitters are finding success
Perhaps he shouldn't try.
Diamondbacks pinch hitters are 7-for-19 (.368) with two doubles, one home run and six RBI in the first 12 games of the 2013 season.
Hinske is responsible for three of those hits, including a home run (the 11th inning game-winner at Milwaukee on April 7) and four runs driven in.
"You just go out there and try to have a professional at-bat and sometimes you get hits, sometimes you don't," he said.
Recently, there have been more hits than outs.
Saturday, pinch hitters went 3-for-4 with three RBI. Hinske and Eric Chavez both singled in the seventh to drive in runs. Aaron Hill doubled home a run in the eighth, while Wil Nieves lined out in the ninth.
"I'm still learning," said Hinske, 60-for-270 (.222) in his career as a pinch hitter. "You never ever have it figured out."
He said he begins to "get ready for a minute of work" in the fourth inning, getting himself both physically and mentally prepared. Then, he waits for his number to be called.
"Guys have experience; good frames of mind," manager Kirk Gibson said. "(Hinske's) got 11 years of experience. Chavez, 14 years of experience. It definitely helps.
"Then they just prepared properly," Gibson continued. "We started on it in spring training, bringing them off the bench. Just keep them ready and they're well prepared to do that."
In 2012, D-backs pinch hitters batted .233 (49-for-210) with three home runs and 20 RBI.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.