Updated Apr 15, 2013 - 9:03 am
D-backs leaning on Martin Prado's versatility
Saturday night alone, he played three positions.
Prado started the game at third, and then moved to second in the eighth inning, before finally landing at shortstop in the ninth.
Sunday afternoon wasn't a whole lot different, as he started the contest in left field before replacing Aaron Hill at second base in the top of the fifth inning.
"Prado got to play every position he played in Little League," manager Kirk Gibson joked after Saturday's game.
Over his eight seasons in the big leagues, Prado has played every infield position and two of the three outfield positions (he has not played center field).
Prado's ability to play multiple positions is one of the reasons why the Diamondbacks not only acquired the 29-year-old in the deal that sent two-time All-Star Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, but then signed him to four-year, 40-million dollar contract.
The Diamondbacks value his versatility.
"‘You like to play short, right?'" Gibson said he asked Prado during the game. "He goes, ‘Just put me in.' that's what he said. You try to give him a heads up if you can. But I do know that I have his versatility. I do know that if I ever want to put it on anybody, he's the perfect guy to put it on."
Prado has spent much of his time this season playing third base, but injuries to Adam Eaton and Cody Ross have necessitated him playing five games in left field.
"I didn't think he'd play as much outfield as he has," Gibson said. "But again, there are certain things that have triggered that.
"He sets a great example for his teammates."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.