Updated Apr 15, 2013 - 9:03 am
D-backs leaning on Martin Prado's versatility
Saturday night alone, he played three positions.
Prado started the game at third, and then moved to second in the eighth inning, before finally landing at shortstop in the ninth.
Sunday afternoon wasn't a whole lot different, as he started the contest in left field before replacing Aaron Hill at second base in the top of the fifth inning.
"Prado got to play every position he played in Little League," manager Kirk Gibson joked after Saturday's game.
Over his eight seasons in the big leagues, Prado has played every infield position and two of the three outfield positions (he has not played center field).
Prado's ability to play multiple positions is one of the reasons why the Diamondbacks not only acquired the 29-year-old in the deal that sent two-time All-Star Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, but then signed him to four-year, 40-million dollar contract.
The Diamondbacks value his versatility.
"‘You like to play short, right?'" Gibson said he asked Prado during the game. "He goes, ‘Just put me in.' that's what he said. You try to give him a heads up if you can. But I do know that I have his versatility. I do know that if I ever want to put it on anybody, he's the perfect guy to put it on."
Prado has spent much of his time this season playing third base, but injuries to Adam Eaton and Cody Ross have necessitated him playing five games in left field.
"I didn't think he'd play as much outfield as he has," Gibson said. "But again, there are certain things that have triggered that.
"He sets a great example for his teammates."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.