Updated Apr 15, 2013 - 5:01 am
Report: Former D-backs first baseman/outfielder Conor Jackson retires
10 years later, Jackson has reportedly called it a career according to the Baltimore Sun.
The 30-year-old first baseman/outfielder hit .302 with three HR and six RBI this spring with the Baltimore Orioles but was cut just before the team broke camp in late March.
Before Sunday's announcement, Jackson was 5-for-25 in nine games with Triple-A Norfolk.
After being drafted by the D-backs, Jackson played parts of six seasons with Arizona. He hit a combined 42 home runs and 214 RBI between 2006-2008, but illness kept him from reaching his full potential with the organization.
Jackson was diagnosed with valley fever in May 2009, and only played in 30 games with the D-backs due to constant fatigue and weakness. In June 2010, Arizona sent the former first-round pick to the Oakland Athletics for reliever Sam Demel.
Over the past two seasons, Jackson has played for four different organizations (Athletics, Red Sox, White Sox and Orioles), primarily at the Triple-A level. His last at-bat in the major leagues came in September 2011 with Boston.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.