A.J. Pollock looking to seize opportunity with the D-backs
Arizona Diamondbacks center fielder A.J. Pollock had a career day at the plate against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday, ending an 0-for-14 skid by going 3-for-5 with two home runs, a double and four RBI.
But despite the D-backs' outfielder's eye-opening performance, Pollock knows he has to continue to play well if he hopes to remain on the big league club after Cody Ross is activated from the disabled list next week.
"When I am in the lineup, I am there on the team and I am ready to compete," Pollock told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday. "When I'm not in the lineup, I am trying to be the best bench player I can and all the other stuff, I am not going to really start thinking about. It really doesn't do you any good."
Pollock made the Opening Day roster after injuries to starting outfielders Ross and Adam Eaton. He has hit .273 with two home runs and six RBI in seven games played this season.
"I try to do a little bit of everything," Pollock stated. "Every single day, no matter what, I should be able to bring something to the table whether it's the defense or whether it's my hitting that day or my baserunning."
While the decision on Pollock's immediate future is ultimately up to manager Kirk Gibson, the 25-year-old's attitude and work ethic certainly mirrors the D-backs' gritty recipe for success.
"I try to not be quiet for the whole game," Pollock said. "I try to do the little things right, too, and I think every day if you do the little things right, it's going to add up to a lot."
If Wednesday's game was any indication, Pollock's future appears to be a bright one.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.