A.J. Pollock looking to seize opportunity with the D-backs
Arizona Diamondbacks center fielder A.J. Pollock had a career day at the plate against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday, ending an 0-for-14 skid by going 3-for-5 with two home runs, a double and four RBI.
But despite the D-backs' outfielder's eye-opening performance, Pollock knows he has to continue to play well if he hopes to remain on the big league club after Cody Ross is activated from the disabled list next week.
"When I am in the lineup, I am there on the team and I am ready to compete," Pollock told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday. "When I'm not in the lineup, I am trying to be the best bench player I can and all the other stuff, I am not going to really start thinking about. It really doesn't do you any good."
Pollock made the Opening Day roster after injuries to starting outfielders Ross and Adam Eaton. He has hit .273 with two home runs and six RBI in seven games played this season.
"I try to do a little bit of everything," Pollock stated. "Every single day, no matter what, I should be able to bring something to the table whether it's the defense or whether it's my hitting that day or my baserunning."
While the decision on Pollock's immediate future is ultimately up to manager Kirk Gibson, the 25-year-old's attitude and work ethic certainly mirrors the D-backs' gritty recipe for success.
"I try to not be quiet for the whole game," Pollock said. "I try to do the little things right, too, and I think every day if you do the little things right, it's going to add up to a lot."
If Wednesday's game was any indication, Pollock's future appears to be a bright one.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.