Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:41 pm
D-backs GM Towers not surprised by offensive output
The season is only nine games old, but that's hardly been the case.
The Diamondbacks have scored 55 runs on the season -- just over six per game -- which ranks second in the Majors behind St. Louis.
So really, no shortage of offense here.
"I thought we would score, I think I said I think we'll score as many or more runs this year," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "I think we're going to apply pressure throughout the game.
"We still have power. Less strikeous, more contact. More contact, you know, guys will make errors."
Leading the way for Arizona is first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who is pacing the team in batting average (.343) and RBI (8), while tying with three others with two home runs.
However, the team has five other regulars hitting better than .250, and 13 D-backs have knocked in at least one run.
"It's a pretty deep lineup," Towers said. "We've got weapons all the way through the lineup."
Towers said that means opposing pitchers "can't take a breather," and thus far that appears to be the case.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.