Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:41 pm
D-backs GM Towers not surprised by offensive output
The season is only nine games old, but that's hardly been the case.
The Diamondbacks have scored 55 runs on the season -- just over six per game -- which ranks second in the Majors behind St. Louis.
So really, no shortage of offense here.
"I thought we would score, I think I said I think we'll score as many or more runs this year," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "I think we're going to apply pressure throughout the game.
"We still have power. Less strikeous, more contact. More contact, you know, guys will make errors."
Leading the way for Arizona is first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who is pacing the team in batting average (.343) and RBI (8), while tying with three others with two home runs.
However, the team has five other regulars hitting better than .250, and 13 D-backs have knocked in at least one run.
"It's a pretty deep lineup," Towers said. "We've got weapons all the way through the lineup."
Towers said that means opposing pitchers "can't take a breather," and thus far that appears to be the case.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.