Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:41 pm
D-backs GM Towers not surprised by offensive output
The season is only nine games old, but that's hardly been the case.
The Diamondbacks have scored 55 runs on the season -- just over six per game -- which ranks second in the Majors behind St. Louis.
So really, no shortage of offense here.
"I thought we would score, I think I said I think we'll score as many or more runs this year," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "I think we're going to apply pressure throughout the game.
"We still have power. Less strikeous, more contact. More contact, you know, guys will make errors."
Leading the way for Arizona is first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who is pacing the team in batting average (.343) and RBI (8), while tying with three others with two home runs.
However, the team has five other regulars hitting better than .250, and 13 D-backs have knocked in at least one run.
"It's a pretty deep lineup," Towers said. "We've got weapons all the way through the lineup."
Towers said that means opposing pitchers "can't take a breather," and thus far that appears to be the case.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.