Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Wade Miley continues to carry D-backs' rotation
Twice this year, the middle of the rotation of the Arizona Diamondbacks has been a letdown. Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy aren't getting it done. That sentence doesn't mean they never will, but through two starts this year, they aren't.
Both times through the rotation, Miley has stepped up far beyond his age or years of experience. Almost through seven innings Wednesday, he allowed only two runs. He even earned an RBI groundout at the plate.
In his two-year career, Miley continues to do more than expected. He wasn't supposed to be here last year but got his chance when Josh Collmenter struggled. He never relented and would have won the NL Rookie of the Year if he wasn't up against a phenom in Bryce Harper.
This year, it's a second-year player who is carrying two veteran pitchers in the rotation. It may be only two starts for Miley. It may be only two weeks into the season. With Miley, it's going on year two with the same results.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?