Adam Eaton, Cody Ross among injured looking to join D-backs soon
Manager Kirk Gibson started his media availability Tuesday with a question about center fielder Adam Eaton's progress. Eaton is out with a sprained left elbow but started hitting again on April 4.
"He's hitting on the field and he might be hitting in a regular group," Gibson said. "I think around the 18th or 19th (of April) is one month and it's kind of when we'll redo those tests we were talking about. We'll start to get him in some live stuff and if everything is good around then, we'll start working on his arm a little bit."
Next up on Gibson's list of injured players was outfielder Cody Ross. The veteran has been absent from D-backs' lineup since suffering a strained calf injury on March 3.
"I talked to Cody and he's probably going to play a couple games in Reno Friday and Saturday, nine innings hopefully," said Gibson. "He'll play nine innings (Wednesday) probably in Visalia. Come home for a day, fly to Reno."
Gibby said he hopes Ross can get back with the team sooner rather than later when asked about him coming on the team's upcoming road trip.
"He could (join the team in New York)," said Gibson. "We're assuming that everything will go good. He hasn't really run too much because he hasn't gotten a hit yet, so. "
Starting pitcher Daniel Hudson started the season on the 60-day DL after having Tommy John surgery last season. Gibson said he hasn't had any setbacks through this point in the rehab process.
"Huddy threw today in a bullpen that was really good," said Gibson. "He's got another bullpen on Friday. He's going to throw live BP next Tuesday. He's throwing the ball really well."
Last but not least, there's shortstop Didi Gregorius and infielder Willie Bloomquist. Gregorius is with Triple-A Reno as he rehabs from an elbow strain, and Bloomquist is still getting treatment every day for his right oblique.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.