Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 3:24 pm
Trevor Cahill can't seem to stop his costly, first-inning woes
But that's exactly what the Pirates did in the first game of their three-game series with the Diamondbacks. The Pirates put a crooked three up in the first inning on Cahill. And this has been the way of things for Cahill in a D-backs uniform.
Last year, he had an ERA of over 5.00 and an inordinate amount of walks in the first inning. When compared to all the other innings pitched after the first, it's like Trevor Cahill is two different pitchers.
Watching Cahill pitch frustrates me because his stuff is filthy. His ball moves so much it's hard to fathom but he gets himself in trouble often, especially with walks, and gives up runs early.
I used to believe it was because he wasn't ready to go. I used to believe he didn't bring the requisite amount of intensity to his starts and that was why teams got to him early.
I no longer believe this.
Cahill struggles early because he's trying to find his arm slot and release point. The ball movement he gets varies from start to start, which is why he struggles early. I don't think Cahill knows how his ball is going to go until he's 20 or more pitches into the start.
Unfortunately for the D-backs, this has cost them some games and it happened again against Pittsburgh. And the worse thing about it is I don't think there's anything Cahill can do about it.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.