Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 3:24 pm
Trevor Cahill can't seem to stop his costly, first-inning woes
But that's exactly what the Pirates did in the first game of their three-game series with the Diamondbacks. The Pirates put a crooked three up in the first inning on Cahill. And this has been the way of things for Cahill in a D-backs uniform.
Last year, he had an ERA of over 5.00 and an inordinate amount of walks in the first inning. When compared to all the other innings pitched after the first, it's like Trevor Cahill is two different pitchers.
Watching Cahill pitch frustrates me because his stuff is filthy. His ball moves so much it's hard to fathom but he gets himself in trouble often, especially with walks, and gives up runs early.
I used to believe it was because he wasn't ready to go. I used to believe he didn't bring the requisite amount of intensity to his starts and that was why teams got to him early.
I no longer believe this.
Cahill struggles early because he's trying to find his arm slot and release point. The ball movement he gets varies from start to start, which is why he struggles early. I don't think Cahill knows how his ball is going to go until he's 20 or more pitches into the start.
Unfortunately for the D-backs, this has cost them some games and it happened again against Pittsburgh. And the worse thing about it is I don't think there's anything Cahill can do about it.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.