Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 3:24 pm
Trevor Cahill can't seem to stop his costly, first-inning woes
But that's exactly what the Pirates did in the first game of their three-game series with the Diamondbacks. The Pirates put a crooked three up in the first inning on Cahill. And this has been the way of things for Cahill in a D-backs uniform.
Last year, he had an ERA of over 5.00 and an inordinate amount of walks in the first inning. When compared to all the other innings pitched after the first, it's like Trevor Cahill is two different pitchers.
Watching Cahill pitch frustrates me because his stuff is filthy. His ball moves so much it's hard to fathom but he gets himself in trouble often, especially with walks, and gives up runs early.
I used to believe it was because he wasn't ready to go. I used to believe he didn't bring the requisite amount of intensity to his starts and that was why teams got to him early.
I no longer believe this.
Cahill struggles early because he's trying to find his arm slot and release point. The ball movement he gets varies from start to start, which is why he struggles early. I don't think Cahill knows how his ball is going to go until he's 20 or more pitches into the start.
Unfortunately for the D-backs, this has cost them some games and it happened again against Pittsburgh. And the worse thing about it is I don't think there's anything Cahill can do about it.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?