Grit Index: Three home runs propel D-backs to win over Brewers
The Arizona Diamondbacks offense stole the show in their 9-2 win in Milwaukee on Saturday. The D-backs have now won three straight, including the first two against the Brewers.
The D-backs offense exploded for 16 hits, including three home runs against the Milwaukee Brewers. Jason Kubel, Paul Goldschmidt and Aaron Hill all went yard for Arizona, with Kubel and Goldy hitting two-run bombs.
Starter Patrick Corbin, who won the fifth starter's job in camp, pitched out of trouble early for the D-backs. The left-hander allowed two runs on eight hits with two strikeouts and one walk over six frames in his season debut.
Corbin's early jitters were apparent as the southpaw surrendered five hits, a walk and two runs in the first two innings. The D-backs' hurler attributed some of his struggles out of the gate to an eight-day layoff.
• The D-backs had seven starters record a hit in the contest.
• Arizona improved to 4-1 for just the third time in franchise history.
The D-backs will go for the series sweep against the Brewers on Sunday. The game is scheduled to start at 11:10 a.m.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.