Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 3:12 pm
D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy starts 2013 off right
The song being played over the Chase Field speakers was Taylor Swift's "Trouble," and it is the type of tune generally listened to by young girls.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Kennedy said the choice was made by D-backs president Derrick Hall's daughter Kylie.
"She was pumped, and she didn't even want to pick that song because it was Taylor Swift," Kennedy said. "But I said 'no, I want it to be that one' because it is Taylor Swift and I want the reaction that you guys will give me."
Well played, Ian.
Of course, Kennedy is known more for his exploits on the mound than at the plate, and his performance Monday was about as good as one could have hoped.
Facing a tough St. Louis lineup, the D-backs ace allowed just five hits and two runs in seven innings of work. He struck out eight and walked just one.
It was Kennedy's third consecutive Opening Day start, and it was his best performance of the three.
"It is good to throw well in your very first outing of the year," Kennedy said. "And hopefully just take that into the next couple.
"But you like to start out on a good roll like that."
Kennedy said the hope is that the rest of the staff follows suit, but on a personal level, the last thing a pitcher wants to do is struggle right out of the gate.
"You don't want to start off getting hit around a little bit or just have a mediocre start," he said. "I was really happy how that start was on Monday night."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.