Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 1:35 pm
Our worst fears realized -- the D-backs will have a DH
With so much Interleague play, it won't be avoided -- too many people will scream for symmetry between the leagues.
Our worst nightmare will be here in the next two years.
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have a designated hitter.
With the Houston Astros now in the American League, there will always be at least one Interleague series going on. Since there will always be one, the complaining will begin from GMs of how difficult the new setup is. Since teams will have more Interleague games, National League GMs will get sick of trying to win games with simply a fourth outfielder in the lineup and American League GMs will hate using a DH as a pinch-hitter.
Eventually the NL will cave because the MLBPA never will.
On this note, will all of baseball please stop talking about the ludicrous idea that the DH rule should be in effect at the home of the NL team during Interleague games so we can "experience" the rules of the other league? If I'm a Red Sox fan, I want to see David Ortiz. It's asinine to keep him in the dugout and away from Fenway season ticket holders. They are paying for his salary so give them their DH. If I'm at a D-backs game, I'm rooting for the D-backs. I don't want Ortiz in the game because I want to win.
The only reason to use the DH in NL parks during interleague is to brace all of us for when the DH is used in both leagues.
DEATH TO THE DH!
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.