Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 1:35 pm
Our worst fears realized -- the D-backs will have a DH
With so much Interleague play, it won't be avoided -- too many people will scream for symmetry between the leagues.
Our worst nightmare will be here in the next two years.
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have a designated hitter.
With the Houston Astros now in the American League, there will always be at least one Interleague series going on. Since there will always be one, the complaining will begin from GMs of how difficult the new setup is. Since teams will have more Interleague games, National League GMs will get sick of trying to win games with simply a fourth outfielder in the lineup and American League GMs will hate using a DH as a pinch-hitter.
Eventually the NL will cave because the MLBPA never will.
On this note, will all of baseball please stop talking about the ludicrous idea that the DH rule should be in effect at the home of the NL team during Interleague games so we can "experience" the rules of the other league? If I'm a Red Sox fan, I want to see David Ortiz. It's asinine to keep him in the dugout and away from Fenway season ticket holders. They are paying for his salary so give them their DH. If I'm at a D-backs game, I'm rooting for the D-backs. I don't want Ortiz in the game because I want to win.
The only reason to use the DH in NL parks during interleague is to brace all of us for when the DH is used in both leagues.
DEATH TO THE DH!
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.