Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 8:58 am
D-backs' Brandon McCarthy has mixed results in debut
McCarthy, who signed a two-year deal with the D-backs in December 2012, last pitched in a meaningful game on September 5, 2012 for the Oakland Athletics. During the fourth inning of that contest, McCarthy was struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Angels' shortstop Erick Aybar.
Although he never lost consciousness, McCarthy fractured his skull and suffered a brain contusion on the play. He was forced to miss Oakland's magical run to the postseason.
Wednesday night's start, the 100th of his career, didn't necessarily go to plan, as he gave up nine hits and six runs in five innings of work.
"It's still one of the weirdest starts I can remember in a long time," McCarthy said. "I felt really good and I threw a lot of strikes, but I just couldn't throw good strikes.
"It was weird, everything just kept missing by two inches. It was an inch up, when it should have been an inch down."
While McCarthy had a bit of an up-and-down debut, his teammates ultimately bailed him out in extra innings.
The D-backs managed to pull out a 10-9 victory over the Redbirds in 16 innings. It was the longest game (5:32) in the 16-year history of Chase Field and clinched the first series win of the season for Arizona.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.