Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 8:58 am
D-backs' Brandon McCarthy has mixed results in debut
McCarthy, who signed a two-year deal with the D-backs in December 2012, last pitched in a meaningful game on September 5, 2012 for the Oakland Athletics. During the fourth inning of that contest, McCarthy was struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Angels' shortstop Erick Aybar.
Although he never lost consciousness, McCarthy fractured his skull and suffered a brain contusion on the play. He was forced to miss Oakland's magical run to the postseason.
Wednesday night's start, the 100th of his career, didn't necessarily go to plan, as he gave up nine hits and six runs in five innings of work.
"It's still one of the weirdest starts I can remember in a long time," McCarthy said. "I felt really good and I threw a lot of strikes, but I just couldn't throw good strikes.
"It was weird, everything just kept missing by two inches. It was an inch up, when it should have been an inch down."
While McCarthy had a bit of an up-and-down debut, his teammates ultimately bailed him out in extra innings.
The D-backs managed to pull out a 10-9 victory over the Redbirds in 16 innings. It was the longest game (5:32) in the 16-year history of Chase Field and clinched the first series win of the season for Arizona.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.