Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 4:20 pm
D-backs GM remains confident in Heath Bell
One-third of an inning pitched, four hits, three earned runs, one walk, one strikeout.
Bell, who was acquired in the offseason, left the game with an ERA of 81.00.
However, it's only one outing, and D-backs GM Kevin Towers is not concerned that the high-priced reliever's struggles in Miami have followed him to Arizona.
"I'm sure if you asked Heath, or any of us, I'm sure that wasn't how he wanted to make his debut with the D-backs," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "But he's a veteran; there's no way that a guy could be as successful as he has in his major league career, and after one year all of a sudden lose it.
"I think he will regain his old form. He just needs to put that one behind him."
Bell, 35, struggled in his lone year with the Marlins, posting an ERA of 5.09 while saving just 19 games. He was brought in on a big contract to be the closer, but after posting three straight seasons with more than 40 saves, appeared to have lost his stuff.
But Towers, clearly, is not of that belief. In fact, he believes someone with Bell's track record can move on from such a rough outing easier than someone without that history of success.
"I think it's what makes those guys great, that they are able to turn the page," Towers said, noting Bell's former status as a closer and likening him to former Padres stopper Trevor Hoffman. "He's able to, as tough as it is, to try to get that out of your brain and move on to the next day and look forward to the next time you get a chance to redeem yourself."
No doubt that time will come for Bell, as one bad outing does not a season ruin. And Towers -- along with everyone else in Sedona Red -- is no doubt hoping to see significantly better results.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.