Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 2:40 pm
Tim Kurkjian gives D-backs a shot at NL West
Coming off an 81-81 season and an offseason that saw the dealing of Justin Upton to Atlanta and Trevor Bauer to Cleveland, the D-backs start the 2013 season in the shadow of the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers.
But ESPN Baseball Tonight analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that he liked what he saw from Arizona in spring training and thinks the season could play out differently than most think.
"I think they can contend," Kurkjian said. "I did not pick them to win a playoff spot, but I think they have a chance."
Kurkjian says he saw a renewed sense of focus and the "chemistry" people are talking about in Arizona is real.
"I sense from being around them a little bit this spring that the attitude is different," Kurkjian said. "In other words, everyone who's there really wants to be there, and I think there is something to be said for that."
But Kurkjian still circled back to the Dodgers and defending World Series Champion Giants as the divisional favorites.
"I think we've learned again never, ever, ever underestimate the Giants and I'm not going to do that again," Kurkjian said. "And the Dodgers, I think I'm one of the few guys that thinks they're going to be a good team."
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- The Pulse: D-backs having most disappointing April
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.