Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 2:40 pm
Tim Kurkjian gives D-backs a shot at NL West
Coming off an 81-81 season and an offseason that saw the dealing of Justin Upton to Atlanta and Trevor Bauer to Cleveland, the D-backs start the 2013 season in the shadow of the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers.
But ESPN Baseball Tonight analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that he liked what he saw from Arizona in spring training and thinks the season could play out differently than most think.
"I think they can contend," Kurkjian said. "I did not pick them to win a playoff spot, but I think they have a chance."
Kurkjian says he saw a renewed sense of focus and the "chemistry" people are talking about in Arizona is real.
"I sense from being around them a little bit this spring that the attitude is different," Kurkjian said. "In other words, everyone who's there really wants to be there, and I think there is something to be said for that."
But Kurkjian still circled back to the Dodgers and defending World Series Champion Giants as the divisional favorites.
"I think we've learned again never, ever, ever underestimate the Giants and I'm not going to do that again," Kurkjian said. "And the Dodgers, I think I'm one of the few guys that thinks they're going to be a good team."
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.