Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 2:40 pm
Tim Kurkjian gives D-backs a shot at NL West
Coming off an 81-81 season and an offseason that saw the dealing of Justin Upton to Atlanta and Trevor Bauer to Cleveland, the D-backs start the 2013 season in the shadow of the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers.
But ESPN Baseball Tonight analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that he liked what he saw from Arizona in spring training and thinks the season could play out differently than most think.
"I think they can contend," Kurkjian said. "I did not pick them to win a playoff spot, but I think they have a chance."
Kurkjian says he saw a renewed sense of focus and the "chemistry" people are talking about in Arizona is real.
"I sense from being around them a little bit this spring that the attitude is different," Kurkjian said. "In other words, everyone who's there really wants to be there, and I think there is something to be said for that."
But Kurkjian still circled back to the Dodgers and defending World Series Champion Giants as the divisional favorites.
"I think we've learned again never, ever, ever underestimate the Giants and I'm not going to do that again," Kurkjian said. "And the Dodgers, I think I'm one of the few guys that thinks they're going to be a good team."
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- MLB insider on Diamondbacks: 'It's as if they've never seen Mark Trumbo play'
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.