Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 2:40 pm
Tim Kurkjian gives D-backs a shot at NL West
Coming off an 81-81 season and an offseason that saw the dealing of Justin Upton to Atlanta and Trevor Bauer to Cleveland, the D-backs start the 2013 season in the shadow of the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers.
But ESPN Baseball Tonight analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that he liked what he saw from Arizona in spring training and thinks the season could play out differently than most think.
"I think they can contend," Kurkjian said. "I did not pick them to win a playoff spot, but I think they have a chance."
Kurkjian says he saw a renewed sense of focus and the "chemistry" people are talking about in Arizona is real.
"I sense from being around them a little bit this spring that the attitude is different," Kurkjian said. "In other words, everyone who's there really wants to be there, and I think there is something to be said for that."
But Kurkjian still circled back to the Dodgers and defending World Series Champion Giants as the divisional favorites.
"I think we've learned again never, ever, ever underestimate the Giants and I'm not going to do that again," Kurkjian said. "And the Dodgers, I think I'm one of the few guys that thinks they're going to be a good team."
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.