Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Prado's unselfishness will help D-backs in 2013
Hitting in the two-hole, the third baseman had two hits in five at-bats, scored twice and drove in a run.
However, it's not just Prado's stat line that has manager Kirk Gibson singing his praises one game into the season.
The D-backs' skipper told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that his unselfishness at the plate aided in executing the game plan against St. Louis on Opening Night.
"He got right up there the first pitch and all he cared about was getting Parra over," he said.
Prado demonstrated how he fits into the D-backs' blueprint for winning this year, hitting a double against Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright in the fifth inning and then another off reliever Fernando Salas in the seventh.
"We want to be able to string hits together where you get a guy on, you hit a double and you get him in," Gibson said. "If you play baseball that way, you're going to score the runs, you're going to succeed and it's going to help you win ball games."
Prado's style of play facilitates a facet of the game that the organization did not concentrate on in recent years.
"It's an element that we want to have that I don't think we've had in the past, we've been more reliable on the home run, we still want to hit home runs, don't get me wrong, but we also want to put longer at-bats together."
If the franchise can stick to the style play shown Monday, Gibson thinks it could only bring about better results than the third place finish his team posted in 2012.
"We may not win them all, but if we play the game right we'll win more than we did last year and put ourselves in a position to get into a championship situation," he said.
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.