Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Prado's unselfishness will help D-backs in 2013
Hitting in the two-hole, the third baseman had two hits in five at-bats, scored twice and drove in a run.
However, it's not just Prado's stat line that has manager Kirk Gibson singing his praises one game into the season.
The D-backs' skipper told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that his unselfishness at the plate aided in executing the game plan against St. Louis on Opening Night.
"He got right up there the first pitch and all he cared about was getting Parra over," he said.
Prado demonstrated how he fits into the D-backs' blueprint for winning this year, hitting a double against Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright in the fifth inning and then another off reliever Fernando Salas in the seventh.
"We want to be able to string hits together where you get a guy on, you hit a double and you get him in," Gibson said. "If you play baseball that way, you're going to score the runs, you're going to succeed and it's going to help you win ball games."
Prado's style of play facilitates a facet of the game that the organization did not concentrate on in recent years.
"It's an element that we want to have that I don't think we've had in the past, we've been more reliable on the home run, we still want to hit home runs, don't get me wrong, but we also want to put longer at-bats together."
If the franchise can stick to the style play shown Monday, Gibson thinks it could only bring about better results than the third place finish his team posted in 2012.
"We may not win them all, but if we play the game right we'll win more than we did last year and put ourselves in a position to get into a championship situation," he said.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.