Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Prado's unselfishness will help D-backs in 2013
Hitting in the two-hole, the third baseman had two hits in five at-bats, scored twice and drove in a run.
However, it's not just Prado's stat line that has manager Kirk Gibson singing his praises one game into the season.
The D-backs' skipper told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that his unselfishness at the plate aided in executing the game plan against St. Louis on Opening Night.
"He got right up there the first pitch and all he cared about was getting Parra over," he said.
Prado demonstrated how he fits into the D-backs' blueprint for winning this year, hitting a double against Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright in the fifth inning and then another off reliever Fernando Salas in the seventh.
"We want to be able to string hits together where you get a guy on, you hit a double and you get him in," Gibson said. "If you play baseball that way, you're going to score the runs, you're going to succeed and it's going to help you win ball games."
Prado's style of play facilitates a facet of the game that the organization did not concentrate on in recent years.
"It's an element that we want to have that I don't think we've had in the past, we've been more reliable on the home run, we still want to hit home runs, don't get me wrong, but we also want to put longer at-bats together."
If the franchise can stick to the style play shown Monday, Gibson thinks it could only bring about better results than the third place finish his team posted in 2012.
"We may not win them all, but if we play the game right we'll win more than we did last year and put ourselves in a position to get into a championship situation," he said.
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.