Updated Mar 30, 2013 - 5:29 pm
Wade Miley gets work in during D-backs' 9-0 loss in spring finale
The Diamondbacks wrapped up their spring/exhibition season on Saturday afternoon. They suffered a 9-0 loss to the Reds, but starter Wade Miley didn't seem to suffer any setbacks in his final start. He threw six innings, allowed nine hits, four earned runs while giving up two walks and striking out three. He threw 96 pitches with 63 going for strikes.
Manager Kirk Gibson said before Miley's start that he expected him to get through the game and be healthy for the team's opening week of action. The D-backs shut Miley down earlier this spring when he was experiencing some "dead arm." The left-hander is expected to begin the year as the team's number four starter.
The D-backs allowed 16 hits in Saturday's loss and only recorded 5 hits themselves. That's two games in a row against the Reds that the D-backs have failed to put much offense together.
Reliever Heath Bell also didn't look sharp. He pitched just 2/3 of an inning but gave up four hits and two earned runs with one strikeout.
• Randall Delgado also put in some work in the loss. Heading into Saturday's game he was still battling for the fifth sporting the starting rotation. Saturday he threw 2 1/3 innings and gave up three earned runs on three hits. He's been battling Patrick Corbin all spring for the final spot.
The Diamondbacks will enjoy an off day on Sunday before they host the Cardinals on Monday for opening day at Chase Field. Ian Kennedy will make the start for Arizona and will be opposed by Adam Wainwright for St. Louis. First pitch is slated for 7:10 p.m.
Opening day lineup: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy
The D-backs also announced that former Diamondback and Cy Young award-winner Brandon Webb will throw out the ceremonial first pitch Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.