Updated Mar 30, 2013 - 5:29 pm
Wade Miley gets work in during D-backs' 9-0 loss in spring finale
The Diamondbacks wrapped up their spring/exhibition season on Saturday afternoon. They suffered a 9-0 loss to the Reds, but starter Wade Miley didn't seem to suffer any setbacks in his final start. He threw six innings, allowed nine hits, four earned runs while giving up two walks and striking out three. He threw 96 pitches with 63 going for strikes.
Manager Kirk Gibson said before Miley's start that he expected him to get through the game and be healthy for the team's opening week of action. The D-backs shut Miley down earlier this spring when he was experiencing some "dead arm." The left-hander is expected to begin the year as the team's number four starter.
The D-backs allowed 16 hits in Saturday's loss and only recorded 5 hits themselves. That's two games in a row against the Reds that the D-backs have failed to put much offense together.
Reliever Heath Bell also didn't look sharp. He pitched just 2/3 of an inning but gave up four hits and two earned runs with one strikeout.
• Randall Delgado also put in some work in the loss. Heading into Saturday's game he was still battling for the fifth sporting the starting rotation. Saturday he threw 2 1/3 innings and gave up three earned runs on three hits. He's been battling Patrick Corbin all spring for the final spot.
The Diamondbacks will enjoy an off day on Sunday before they host the Cardinals on Monday for opening day at Chase Field. Ian Kennedy will make the start for Arizona and will be opposed by Adam Wainwright for St. Louis. First pitch is slated for 7:10 p.m.
Opening day lineup: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy
The D-backs also announced that former Diamondback and Cy Young award-winner Brandon Webb will throw out the ceremonial first pitch Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.