Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 7:34 am
Diamondbacks finalize Opening Day 25-man roster
The Arizona Diamondbacks finalized their Opening Day 25-man roster Sunday.
Heading into the weekend the only two unknowns were who would be the team's No. 5 starter and fourth outfielder.
Patrick Corbin beat out right-hander Randall Delgado for the fifth spot in the D-backs' starting rotation, manager Kirk Gibson announced Saturday. In 2012, Corbin was 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA. This spring, he recorded a 3-0 record with a 2.86 ERA in 25 2/3 innings of work.
Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves back in January, was optioned to Triple-A Reno following the team's final exhibition Saturday against the Reds.
Alfredo Marte was named the team's fourth outfielder after injuries put Cody Ross and Adam Eaton on the disabled list to start the season. In 2012, Marte hit .294 with 20 home runs and 75 RBI in AA-Mobile.
The D-backs will head into Opening Day with a rotation comprised of Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill and Corbin.
Arizona's bullpen will feature Josh Collmenter, Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp, Heath Bell, Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and closer J.J. Putz.
The rest of the 25-man squad includes catchers Miguel Montero and Wil Nieves, infielders Josh Wilson, Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington, Eric Chavez, utility man Eric Hinske and outfielders Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, A.J. Pollock, Martin Prado and Marte.
In addition to the unveiling of the 25-man roster, Kirk Gibson also announced his starting lineup for Monday.
This is batting order for opening day: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy— Kyndra de St. Aubin (@Kyndra620) March 30, 2013
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.