Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 7:34 am
Diamondbacks finalize Opening Day 25-man roster
The Arizona Diamondbacks finalized their Opening Day 25-man roster Sunday.
Heading into the weekend the only two unknowns were who would be the team's No. 5 starter and fourth outfielder.
Patrick Corbin beat out right-hander Randall Delgado for the fifth spot in the D-backs' starting rotation, manager Kirk Gibson announced Saturday. In 2012, Corbin was 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA. This spring, he recorded a 3-0 record with a 2.86 ERA in 25 2/3 innings of work.
Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves back in January, was optioned to Triple-A Reno following the team's final exhibition Saturday against the Reds.
Alfredo Marte was named the team's fourth outfielder after injuries put Cody Ross and Adam Eaton on the disabled list to start the season. In 2012, Marte hit .294 with 20 home runs and 75 RBI in AA-Mobile.
The D-backs will head into Opening Day with a rotation comprised of Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill and Corbin.
Arizona's bullpen will feature Josh Collmenter, Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp, Heath Bell, Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and closer J.J. Putz.
The rest of the 25-man squad includes catchers Miguel Montero and Wil Nieves, infielders Josh Wilson, Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington, Eric Chavez, utility man Eric Hinske and outfielders Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, A.J. Pollock, Martin Prado and Marte.
In addition to the unveiling of the 25-man roster, Kirk Gibson also announced his starting lineup for Monday.
This is batting order for opening day: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy— Kyndra de St. Aubin (@Kyndra620) March 30, 2013
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.