Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 7:34 am
Diamondbacks finalize Opening Day 25-man roster
The Arizona Diamondbacks finalized their Opening Day 25-man roster Sunday.
Heading into the weekend the only two unknowns were who would be the team's No. 5 starter and fourth outfielder.
Patrick Corbin beat out right-hander Randall Delgado for the fifth spot in the D-backs' starting rotation, manager Kirk Gibson announced Saturday. In 2012, Corbin was 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA. This spring, he recorded a 3-0 record with a 2.86 ERA in 25 2/3 innings of work.
Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves back in January, was optioned to Triple-A Reno following the team's final exhibition Saturday against the Reds.
Alfredo Marte was named the team's fourth outfielder after injuries put Cody Ross and Adam Eaton on the disabled list to start the season. In 2012, Marte hit .294 with 20 home runs and 75 RBI in AA-Mobile.
The D-backs will head into Opening Day with a rotation comprised of Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill and Corbin.
Arizona's bullpen will feature Josh Collmenter, Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp, Heath Bell, Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and closer J.J. Putz.
The rest of the 25-man squad includes catchers Miguel Montero and Wil Nieves, infielders Josh Wilson, Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington, Eric Chavez, utility man Eric Hinske and outfielders Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, A.J. Pollock, Martin Prado and Marte.
In addition to the unveiling of the 25-man roster, Kirk Gibson also announced his starting lineup for Monday.
This is batting order for opening day: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy— Kyndra de St. Aubin (@Kyndra620) March 30, 2013
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.