Updated Mar 30, 2013 - 3:51 pm
SI.com's Tom Verducci: D-backs' starting rotation could keep them in NL West hunt
Verducci told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that the D-backs' starting rotation could keep them in the National League West hunt.
"I like the fact that they are going to fight you, but the big picture to me is their pitching," Verducci said. "I think their starting pitching is a little bit underrated. I like the idea that there's really no age there whatsoever, and they also have a pretty good inventory. When the inevitable injury pops up and they have to drop down to starter No. 6 or 7, they're still in pretty good shape. That's what I like about the Diamondbacks more than anything."
The D-backs' starting rotation has looked strong in the spring, and Verducci believes one free agent acquisition in particular could prove to be a major upgrade for the staff.
"Brandon McCarthy may be the key for me because I have always liked him, but I think he's really due for a breakout season," Verducci said. "Not a back-end of the rotation guy but a front-end of the rotation guy. If that happens kind of like what happened with Kennedy and Hudson a couple of years ago, then yeah, I definitely think they can contend."
McCarthy, who signed with the D-backs back in December, looks to improve upon his 8-6 record last season with the Oakland Athletics. McCarthy's 2012 campaign was cut short after he was struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of the Angels' Erick Aybar on September 5, but he's shown no ill effects this spring and is slated to pitch Wednesday against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Overall, Verducci said the D-backs have an under-the-radar shot of finding themselves atop the division come October.
"I actually think they're a little bit of a sleeper team," said Verducci. "They're not getting a lot of attention other than what they gave up, but I think they can contend in the West."
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.