Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 5:15 pm
D-backs end Cactus League slate with win over Rangers
Starter Trevor Cahill pitched lights out in his final spring outing. Cahill went 5.2 innings, giving up four hits and one unearned run while striking out 11. He threw 63 of his 88 pitches for strikes.
Cahill's performance came against a Rangers lineup that was made up of all minor leaguers (mostly Class-A) as Texas had sent all of its starters back to Arlington to face Diablos Rojos on Thursday in a 5:05pm first pitch.
The D-backs committed three errors on the day, one each by Paul Goldschmidt, Wil Nieves and Josh Parr. Arizona finished their Cactus League schedule with 25 errors.
• Veteran infielder Josh Wilson got the start at second base Thursday. Before the game, manager Kirk Gibson said that the possibility of keeping Wilson for infield help is one of the decisions he has yet to make before Opening Day on Monday. Infielder Willie Bloomquist will start the season on the disabled list with an oblique injury and insurance policy John McDonald was traded to Pittsburgh last week.
Wilson spent time with Arizona in 2009 and 2011.
He Said It:
"Trevor's fine. All their (Rangers) guys weren't here so it was kind of a good day for him, just come out and relax. He worked on some pitches. A couple pitches he's working on, he was able to do that. He was smiling at the end of the game. He's throwing good. He'll be ready for Tuesday." -- Gibson on Cahill's performance against the Rangers.
The Diamondbacks will play two straight exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds on Friday and Saturday. Friday night, lefty Patrick Corbin will make his final push to win the D-backs' fifth starter spot against Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo. Also scheduled to pitch Friday are Brad Ziegler, J.J. Putz and Tony Sipp. First pitch is slated for 6:40 p.m. in downtown Phoenix.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.