Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 5:15 pm
D-backs end Cactus League slate with win over Rangers
Starter Trevor Cahill pitched lights out in his final spring outing. Cahill went 5.2 innings, giving up four hits and one unearned run while striking out 11. He threw 63 of his 88 pitches for strikes.
Cahill's performance came against a Rangers lineup that was made up of all minor leaguers (mostly Class-A) as Texas had sent all of its starters back to Arlington to face Diablos Rojos on Thursday in a 5:05pm first pitch.
The D-backs committed three errors on the day, one each by Paul Goldschmidt, Wil Nieves and Josh Parr. Arizona finished their Cactus League schedule with 25 errors.
• Veteran infielder Josh Wilson got the start at second base Thursday. Before the game, manager Kirk Gibson said that the possibility of keeping Wilson for infield help is one of the decisions he has yet to make before Opening Day on Monday. Infielder Willie Bloomquist will start the season on the disabled list with an oblique injury and insurance policy John McDonald was traded to Pittsburgh last week.
Wilson spent time with Arizona in 2009 and 2011.
He Said It:
"Trevor's fine. All their (Rangers) guys weren't here so it was kind of a good day for him, just come out and relax. He worked on some pitches. A couple pitches he's working on, he was able to do that. He was smiling at the end of the game. He's throwing good. He'll be ready for Tuesday." -- Gibson on Cahill's performance against the Rangers.
The Diamondbacks will play two straight exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds on Friday and Saturday. Friday night, lefty Patrick Corbin will make his final push to win the D-backs' fifth starter spot against Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo. Also scheduled to pitch Friday are Brad Ziegler, J.J. Putz and Tony Sipp. First pitch is slated for 6:40 p.m. in downtown Phoenix.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.