Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 3:17 pm
D-backs' Martin Prado could start season in left field
After swinging an offseason trade for Martin Prado from Atlanta, they figured the position was shored up for 2013. But that might not be the case -- at least to start the season.
Injuries to outfielders Cody Ross (calf) and Adam Eaton (elbow) will ensure they'll start the season on the disabled list, meaning a versatile player like Prado could be called on to contribute in the outfield.
"It's possible," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Thursday about the possibility of Prado starting the season in left field. "It is possible. We're cosidering both options."
Those options are to start Prado at third base and Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock in the outfield, or to move Prado to left with Parra and Pollock and start veteran Eric Chavez at third.
To complicate issues, Kubel has been bothered by discomfort in his left ankle. He played in minor league games Wednesday and Thursday.
"Kubel's health has something to do with that whole equation," Gibson stated. "(Wednesday) when hit hit, he ran the bases and everything, so if something happens that isn't encouraging then maybe even if Kubel's stellar healthy, then maybe he becomes a bat off the bench and I put Chavez and Prado out there.
"But I hope Kubel's healthy."
Prado does have experience in left -- he started 111 games there for the Braves last year.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.