Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 3:17 pm
D-backs' Martin Prado could start season in left field
After swinging an offseason trade for Martin Prado from Atlanta, they figured the position was shored up for 2013. But that might not be the case -- at least to start the season.
Injuries to outfielders Cody Ross (calf) and Adam Eaton (elbow) will ensure they'll start the season on the disabled list, meaning a versatile player like Prado could be called on to contribute in the outfield.
"It's possible," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Thursday about the possibility of Prado starting the season in left field. "It is possible. We're cosidering both options."
Those options are to start Prado at third base and Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock in the outfield, or to move Prado to left with Parra and Pollock and start veteran Eric Chavez at third.
To complicate issues, Kubel has been bothered by discomfort in his left ankle. He played in minor league games Wednesday and Thursday.
"Kubel's health has something to do with that whole equation," Gibson stated. "(Wednesday) when hit hit, he ran the bases and everything, so if something happens that isn't encouraging then maybe even if Kubel's stellar healthy, then maybe he becomes a bat off the bench and I put Chavez and Prado out there.
"But I hope Kubel's healthy."
Prado does have experience in left -- he started 111 games there for the Braves last year.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.