Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 3:17 pm
D-backs' Martin Prado could start season in left field
After swinging an offseason trade for Martin Prado from Atlanta, they figured the position was shored up for 2013. But that might not be the case -- at least to start the season.
Injuries to outfielders Cody Ross (calf) and Adam Eaton (elbow) will ensure they'll start the season on the disabled list, meaning a versatile player like Prado could be called on to contribute in the outfield.
"It's possible," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Thursday about the possibility of Prado starting the season in left field. "It is possible. We're cosidering both options."
Those options are to start Prado at third base and Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock in the outfield, or to move Prado to left with Parra and Pollock and start veteran Eric Chavez at third.
To complicate issues, Kubel has been bothered by discomfort in his left ankle. He played in minor league games Wednesday and Thursday.
"Kubel's health has something to do with that whole equation," Gibson stated. "(Wednesday) when hit hit, he ran the bases and everything, so if something happens that isn't encouraging then maybe even if Kubel's stellar healthy, then maybe he becomes a bat off the bench and I put Chavez and Prado out there.
"But I hope Kubel's healthy."
Prado does have experience in left -- he started 111 games there for the Braves last year.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.