Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 3:17 pm
D-backs' Martin Prado could start season in left field
After swinging an offseason trade for Martin Prado from Atlanta, they figured the position was shored up for 2013. But that might not be the case -- at least to start the season.
Injuries to outfielders Cody Ross (calf) and Adam Eaton (elbow) will ensure they'll start the season on the disabled list, meaning a versatile player like Prado could be called on to contribute in the outfield.
"It's possible," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Thursday about the possibility of Prado starting the season in left field. "It is possible. We're cosidering both options."
Those options are to start Prado at third base and Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock in the outfield, or to move Prado to left with Parra and Pollock and start veteran Eric Chavez at third.
To complicate issues, Kubel has been bothered by discomfort in his left ankle. He played in minor league games Wednesday and Thursday.
"Kubel's health has something to do with that whole equation," Gibson stated. "(Wednesday) when hit hit, he ran the bases and everything, so if something happens that isn't encouraging then maybe even if Kubel's stellar healthy, then maybe he becomes a bat off the bench and I put Chavez and Prado out there.
"But I hope Kubel's healthy."
Prado does have experience in left -- he started 111 games there for the Braves last year.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.