Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:38 pm
D-backs' Jason Kubel: Ankle better, confidence improving
"It was a good day for him," Gibson said.
The Arizona Diamondbacks' starting left fielder has not had many good days this spring.
Kubel has struggled at the plate and battled both knee and ankle issues. He was removed from Tuesday night's game with what the team described as "left ankle discomfort."
"I felt pretty good," Kubel said after the intrasquad game. "Just a little sore, maybe a little stiff; but, no, (the ankle) felt fine."
Gibson said Kubel ran the bases quite a bit and "ran pretty decently," too.
"He's good at this point," Gibson said smiling. "Let's cross our fingers today. We seem to be a bit bitten right now." The skipper was referring to Willie Bloomquist (strained right oblique) and Aaron Hill (finger, in the lineup vs. the Giants Wednesday), who were both removed from the game Tuesday as well.
Kubel said he did not play in the field; the plate appearances were priority number-one.
"It definitely helps to get as many at bats as you can," he said. "I think [Wednesday] is going to help with confidence a little bit."
Kubel has but six hits in 40 at-bats for a .150 batting average over 17 Cactus League games. In addition, he has one home run and three RBI along with eight walks and 15 strikeouts.
He said he expects to play in the team's last two exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds Friday and Saturday at Chase Field.
"I'm just, hopefully, looking forward to getting these next couple of days out of here healthy," Kubel said. "I've just been battling things all spring so hopefully everything just starts feeling good, and stays that way."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.