Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:38 pm
D-backs' Jason Kubel: Ankle better, confidence improving
"It was a good day for him," Gibson said.
The Arizona Diamondbacks' starting left fielder has not had many good days this spring.
Kubel has struggled at the plate and battled both knee and ankle issues. He was removed from Tuesday night's game with what the team described as "left ankle discomfort."
"I felt pretty good," Kubel said after the intrasquad game. "Just a little sore, maybe a little stiff; but, no, (the ankle) felt fine."
Gibson said Kubel ran the bases quite a bit and "ran pretty decently," too.
"He's good at this point," Gibson said smiling. "Let's cross our fingers today. We seem to be a bit bitten right now." The skipper was referring to Willie Bloomquist (strained right oblique) and Aaron Hill (finger, in the lineup vs. the Giants Wednesday), who were both removed from the game Tuesday as well.
Kubel said he did not play in the field; the plate appearances were priority number-one.
"It definitely helps to get as many at bats as you can," he said. "I think [Wednesday] is going to help with confidence a little bit."
Kubel has but six hits in 40 at-bats for a .150 batting average over 17 Cactus League games. In addition, he has one home run and three RBI along with eight walks and 15 strikeouts.
He said he expects to play in the team's last two exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds Friday and Saturday at Chase Field.
"I'm just, hopefully, looking forward to getting these next couple of days out of here healthy," Kubel said. "I've just been battling things all spring so hopefully everything just starts feeling good, and stays that way."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.