Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:35 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks Willie Bloomquist to start season on disabled list
The team announced Wednesday that infielder Willie Bloomquist, who left Tuesday's spring training game against the Angels, has a Grade 2 strain of his right oblique and will start the season on the disabled list.
Bloomquist, 35, was hitting .270 this spring.
"Just a swing, I felt it in my follow through on a swing that I fouled back," Bloomquist told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of what happened. "I've unfortunately done that once in my career a long time ago when I was with Seattle so I knew instantly kind of what the feeling was."
Bloomquist said the first time he suffered this kind of injury he tried to play through it and made things worse, so he knew better this time and his hopeful he won't be out long.
But, he will start a season on the disabled list for the first time in his career, and after an offseason doing all he could to be ready to go, all he can do is sit back, watch and hope he heals.
The injury comes at an inopportune time for the team, as less than a week ago Arizona traded shortstop John McDonald to Pittsburgh because they had a glut of infielders. With Bloomquist out, the team will likely turn to Cliff Pennington to play shortstop.
"With (center fielder) Adam Eaton going down and we have a couple guys injured here, it's not a good time," he said. "It's never really a good time to get injured, but especially now. The excitement about Opening Day is building up and everyone's getting pumped and getting ready to go, and this kind of just takes the wind out of my sails."
Bloomquist will be eligible to return to the team on April 11, but said his injury is the type he has to take "day-by-day."
"As soon as it's ready to go, I'll be ready to go myself."
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?