Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:07 pm
D-backs owner Kendrick: Expectation is to reach the postseason
"I believe we've worked very hard to put a team together that can compete, and we start the season with every belief that we're going to be in the playoffs, that's what we strive for every single year," D-backs owner Ken Kendrick told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We made a lot of moves and we're a different team than the one that was on the field last year, and the nature of how I think we're going to play the game is going to be different this year."
Indeed, the D-backs are different from last year's team that won 81 games and finished third in the NL West, and they're even more different from the squad that won 94 games and the division the previous season.
Gone are players like Justin Upton, Chris Young and Trevor Bauer, and in their place are Martin Prado, Brandon McCarthy and Randall Delgado.
Kendrick, though, acknowledges the difficulty of the NL West but believes the D-backs have upgraded the roster, even if others don't.
The team's moves -- especially the decision to part with Upton -- were met with some skepticism. A 25-year-old who was an MVP candidate just two seasons ago, there are a lot of people interested in how the former top pick will fare in Atlanta.
Kendrick is one of them.
"I think everybody knows I'm a big Justin fan; I was there on day one when we worked him out before he was drafted," Kendrick said, adding he has a long history with Upton and his family. "I think he's a very talented player and I want him to perform well.
"Yet, I think we did the right thing in making the trade that we made and very proud of the players that we have to replace him, and confident they will play well for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.