Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:07 pm
D-backs owner Kendrick: Expectation is to reach the postseason
"I believe we've worked very hard to put a team together that can compete, and we start the season with every belief that we're going to be in the playoffs, that's what we strive for every single year," D-backs owner Ken Kendrick told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We made a lot of moves and we're a different team than the one that was on the field last year, and the nature of how I think we're going to play the game is going to be different this year."
Indeed, the D-backs are different from last year's team that won 81 games and finished third in the NL West, and they're even more different from the squad that won 94 games and the division the previous season.
Gone are players like Justin Upton, Chris Young and Trevor Bauer, and in their place are Martin Prado, Brandon McCarthy and Randall Delgado.
Kendrick, though, acknowledges the difficulty of the NL West but believes the D-backs have upgraded the roster, even if others don't.
The team's moves -- especially the decision to part with Upton -- were met with some skepticism. A 25-year-old who was an MVP candidate just two seasons ago, there are a lot of people interested in how the former top pick will fare in Atlanta.
Kendrick is one of them.
"I think everybody knows I'm a big Justin fan; I was there on day one when we worked him out before he was drafted," Kendrick said, adding he has a long history with Upton and his family. "I think he's a very talented player and I want him to perform well.
"Yet, I think we did the right thing in making the trade that we made and very proud of the players that we have to replace him, and confident they will play well for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?