Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 12:41 pm
Baseball America: D-backs farm system ranks No. 8
The D-backs farm system ranks No. 8 in all of baseball, fourth in the National League and first in the NL West.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Skaggs, LHP (12)
2. Archie Bradley, RHP (25)
3. Adam Eaton, OF (73)
4. Didi Gregorius, SS (80)
5. Matt Davidson, 3B (88)
6. David Holmberg, LHP
7. Chris Owings, SS
8. Stryker Trahan, C
9. Andrew Chafin, LHP
10. A.J. Pollock, OF
How They Got Here: The Diamondbacks had an unmatched trio of pitching prospects in Skaggs, RHP Trevor Bauer and Bradley—until they gave up Bauer in a three-team deal that brought them Gregorius. Eaton headlines an unheralded but solid group of position prospects.
High-Ceiling Sleeper: RHP Jose Martinez saw his fastball velocity jump from 85-88 mph when he signed in 2011 to 91-96 in his pro debut last year.
2013 Rookies: The Justin Upton trade paved the way for Eaton to start in center field after he won the 2012 minor league batting title (.375). Arizona didn't give up Bauer to get Gregorius and sit him behind Cliff Pennington. Skaggs is big league ready, though the Diamondbacks rotation is loaded.
While Kevin Towers has done a nice job bringing in young talent to their minor league system, the franchise has dropped a couple spots since last year's rankings.
However, the D-backs have come a long way since their 2011 ranking of 22.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.