Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 12:41 pm
Baseball America: D-backs farm system ranks No. 8
The D-backs farm system ranks No. 8 in all of baseball, fourth in the National League and first in the NL West.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Skaggs, LHP (12)
2. Archie Bradley, RHP (25)
3. Adam Eaton, OF (73)
4. Didi Gregorius, SS (80)
5. Matt Davidson, 3B (88)
6. David Holmberg, LHP
7. Chris Owings, SS
8. Stryker Trahan, C
9. Andrew Chafin, LHP
10. A.J. Pollock, OF
How They Got Here: The Diamondbacks had an unmatched trio of pitching prospects in Skaggs, RHP Trevor Bauer and Bradley—until they gave up Bauer in a three-team deal that brought them Gregorius. Eaton headlines an unheralded but solid group of position prospects.
High-Ceiling Sleeper: RHP Jose Martinez saw his fastball velocity jump from 85-88 mph when he signed in 2011 to 91-96 in his pro debut last year.
2013 Rookies: The Justin Upton trade paved the way for Eaton to start in center field after he won the 2012 minor league batting title (.375). Arizona didn't give up Bauer to get Gregorius and sit him behind Cliff Pennington. Skaggs is big league ready, though the Diamondbacks rotation is loaded.
While Kevin Towers has done a nice job bringing in young talent to their minor league system, the franchise has dropped a couple spots since last year's rankings.
However, the D-backs have come a long way since their 2011 ranking of 22.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.