Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 12:41 pm
Baseball America: D-backs farm system ranks No. 8
The D-backs farm system ranks No. 8 in all of baseball, fourth in the National League and first in the NL West.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Skaggs, LHP (12)
2. Archie Bradley, RHP (25)
3. Adam Eaton, OF (73)
4. Didi Gregorius, SS (80)
5. Matt Davidson, 3B (88)
6. David Holmberg, LHP
7. Chris Owings, SS
8. Stryker Trahan, C
9. Andrew Chafin, LHP
10. A.J. Pollock, OF
How They Got Here: The Diamondbacks had an unmatched trio of pitching prospects in Skaggs, RHP Trevor Bauer and Bradley—until they gave up Bauer in a three-team deal that brought them Gregorius. Eaton headlines an unheralded but solid group of position prospects.
High-Ceiling Sleeper: RHP Jose Martinez saw his fastball velocity jump from 85-88 mph when he signed in 2011 to 91-96 in his pro debut last year.
2013 Rookies: The Justin Upton trade paved the way for Eaton to start in center field after he won the 2012 minor league batting title (.375). Arizona didn't give up Bauer to get Gregorius and sit him behind Cliff Pennington. Skaggs is big league ready, though the Diamondbacks rotation is loaded.
While Kevin Towers has done a nice job bringing in young talent to their minor league system, the franchise has dropped a couple spots since last year's rankings.
However, the D-backs have come a long way since their 2011 ranking of 22.
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.