Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 12:41 pm
Baseball America: D-backs farm system ranks No. 8
The D-backs farm system ranks No. 8 in all of baseball, fourth in the National League and first in the NL West.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Skaggs, LHP (12)
2. Archie Bradley, RHP (25)
3. Adam Eaton, OF (73)
4. Didi Gregorius, SS (80)
5. Matt Davidson, 3B (88)
6. David Holmberg, LHP
7. Chris Owings, SS
8. Stryker Trahan, C
9. Andrew Chafin, LHP
10. A.J. Pollock, OF
How They Got Here: The Diamondbacks had an unmatched trio of pitching prospects in Skaggs, RHP Trevor Bauer and Bradley—until they gave up Bauer in a three-team deal that brought them Gregorius. Eaton headlines an unheralded but solid group of position prospects.
High-Ceiling Sleeper: RHP Jose Martinez saw his fastball velocity jump from 85-88 mph when he signed in 2011 to 91-96 in his pro debut last year.
2013 Rookies: The Justin Upton trade paved the way for Eaton to start in center field after he won the 2012 minor league batting title (.375). Arizona didn't give up Bauer to get Gregorius and sit him behind Cliff Pennington. Skaggs is big league ready, though the Diamondbacks rotation is loaded.
While Kevin Towers has done a nice job bringing in young talent to their minor league system, the franchise has dropped a couple spots since last year's rankings.
However, the D-backs have come a long way since their 2011 ranking of 22.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?